now i know lol

Mick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
ok i see what these rooms are for now ;)

this question lol:

ok i bought 6 cards from a bargain i found on this site, and i also bought a pci card aswell to match.

i have never used a wireless network and would like a few questions looked at if possible please ;)

1. my PC is next to a wall (the back of it) i want to add the pci card to it but because its so close to the wall and kinda blobked aswell will it get a signal out ?

2. i want to be able to take a laptop to me mums and have it work on both wireless networks (mine and me mums ?) is this easy to setup ?

3. you get much loss when using a wireless network say for example im transfering a DVD film (4gb odd) will it lose any data ?

4. i have a hard wired 100Mbit switched network already with 3 PC's and connections for my lappys, but the whole point of this wired network is to stop the need for the lappys to have a wire plugged in.. how will the networks work together will there be problems or will they all have access to each other (which i want)

5. is their any bad points you can think of ?

thanks in advance im looking forward to this new project ;)

Mickie D said:
ok i see what these rooms are for now ;)

this question lol:

1. my PC is next to a wall (the back of it) i want to add the pci card to it but because its so close to the wall and kinda blobked aswell will it get a signal out ?

You will get a Signal but it will very weak, you would be better with an USB adaptor card, or try to make an antenna

Mickie D said:
2. i want to be able to take a laptop to me mums and have it work on both wireless networks (mine and me mums ?) is this easy to setup ?

Yes if you make each PC the server at yours and Your ma's, when you go there with your lappy the DHCP server will assign an IP

Mickie D said:
3. you get much loss when using a wireless network say for example im transfering a DVD film (4gb odd) will it lose any data ?

no, yoi may loose some data if you try and watch it, especially on a 11 meg network

Mickie D said:
4. i have a hard wired 100Mbit switched network already with 3 PC's and connections for my lappys, but the whole point of this wired network is to stop the need for the lappys to have a wire plugged in.. how will the networks work together will there be problems or will they all have access to each other (which i want)

Yes, if the switched network or wireless network has a router:)

Mickie D said:
5. is their any bad points you can think of ?

thanks in advance im looking forward to this new project ;)

Yes, dont use windows ICS it falls over to often, better using a proxy such as wingate

also

if you have a 54meg network and you use a 11meg card the whole network will slow to the slowest connection

but in essance a wireless netowrk is the same as wired network but with out the wires:)

i have a 10/100Mbit auto switch and my cableing is Rj45 type m8y

i dont havea router but i dont think i need one ?

just wondered if i install the network card (wireless) on my server which has the internet connection would i be able to share the internet all over ? or will it only do one

wingate seems like the answer here :)

Back