Not booting after FTPing services

MarkP

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Hope someone may be able to help. Trying to set up a second box for the bedroom. Managed to load up a new image (Sportster 1.7 UK04), rebooted and got the new IP address via the tv menu - all working fine.

Then FTPd the services and bouquet files (using FlashFXP), restarted the box, and now it hangs. The blue Sportster screen comes up on the tv, and on the LCD, but it just sits there saying "Sportster loading, loading kernel".

I've tried reconnecting with FlashFXP but it won't connect now.

Also tried IFA, but it won't flash. The LCD displays "Imageflashing assistant" but never goes to the flashing image message.

Have I corrupted it somehow?
The services file was a new one I had modded using an xml editor. Could I have done something here? I did notice the filename was in capitals - could this have done it?

I'm at a bit of a loss now, as I can't seem to talk to the box at all.

Any help appreciated guys - I did a search but didn't come up with my exact problem.

Cheers,
MarkP

mmmmm, this seems like maybe it was the cause.... The services file was a new one I had modded using an xml editor.......

can you not ping the box at all ?

What happens when you use flashfxp ?

Well, I've tried rebooting lots of times. It hasn't been going far enough to let me connect with FlashFXP. However, the last couple of times it has gone past the blue sportster screen to the screen that gives the image info teleprinter style, but then it just goes into standby.

This has given me enough time to connect and put a known good services into zapit, but the box still only goes as far as the info screen, then shuts down.

Grrr,
MarkP

If you can find out what the i.p address is you may be able to ifa the box with another image (or the same one) ifa works before the system even gets to this stage. Good luck.

use a different image maybe sportster 1.6 uk which is very stable i have used it for a while the images after 1.72 i find have a mind of there own depending on the box

Hi guys,

Thanks everyone for the advice, much appreciated.

I'll give it a go to IFA a different image. I must say, I've not had much success with IFA to date, never managing to get beyond the "Flashing assistant - Hallenberg.com" (or something like that) message on the LCD. I've certainly never managed to get the "flashing box" message on the LCD display.

I do have the IP address, as it has adopted the IP of the Sportster 1.7 I flashed earlier.

Thanks again,
MarkP

Derekwd,

When using IFA, I got lots of ####### then it said "done". It then stopped.

I've looked at Stemcell's tutorial here -
http://world-of-digital.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49797

- on his screenshot at step 18, it shows the ### I get, but then goes on to a "Copy to Flash..." message. I never see this.

However, I did notice a comment about using the standby and arrow up keys, which is required by some boxes rather than simply unplugging and plugging in. I'll give this a try tonight and see if I have any success.

I'll report back/plead for more help, as necessary!

Cheers guys,
MarkP

Hi again guys,

Well, I tried the standby/uparrow while using IFA, and didn't get any further than previously. The box gets to the

##################################################
done

dbox2-ppcboot> protect off 10020000 107FFFFF...............................................................
Un-Protected 63 sectors

dbox

- then just sits there. I definitely don't get the next "Copy to flash" message that you see on Stemcell's tutorial. As I say, it just sits there, with the LCD just saying "Image flashing assistant"

Here's the log from IFA. If anyone can make any sense of it, I'd appreciate you help.

Thanks,
MarkP

:THANKS:

debug: DDF: Calibrating delay loop... debug: DDF: 67.79 BogoMIPS
debug: BMon V1.0 mID 01
debug: feID 7a gtxID 0b
debug: fpID 5a dsID http://Hallenberg.com
debug: HWrev X5 SWrev 0.81
debug: B/Ex/Fl(MB) 32/00/08
WATCHDOG reset enabled
debug: autoboot aborted from terminal
dbox2:root> boot net net net net net net net net net net
debug:
BOOTP/TFTP bootstrap loader (v0.3)
debug:
debug: Transmitting BOOTP redebug: Got Block #0200
debug: Got Block #0250
debug: Got Block #0300
debug: Got Block #0350
will verify ELF image, start= 0x800000, size= 201596
verify sig: 262
boot net: boot file has no valid signature
Branching to 0x40000

ppcboot 0.6.4 (Apr 11 2002 - 16:10:44)

Initializing...
CPU: PPC823ZTnnA at 67 MHz: 2 kB I-Cache 1 kB D-Cache
*** Warning: CPU Core has Silicon Bugs -- Check the Errata ***
Board: ### No HW ID - assuming TQM8xxL
DRAM: (faked) 32 MB
Ethernet: 00-50-9c-1d-32-ae
FLASH: 8 MB
LCD driver (KS0713) initialized
BOOTP broadcast 1
TFTP from server 192.168.254.199; our IP address is 192.168.254.202
Filename 'C/tftpboot/logo-lcd'.
Load address: 0x130000
Loading: *##
done
LCD logo at: 0x130000 (0x1F9FFC0 bytes)
BOOTP broadcast 1
Filename 'C/tftpboot/logo-fb'.
Load address: 0x120000
Loading: *####################################
done
FB logo at: 0x0 (0x1FC0000 bytes)
debug: DDF: Calibrating delay loop... debug: DDF: 67.79 BogoMIPS
debug: BMon V1.0 mID 01
debug: feID 7a gtxID 0b
debug: fpID 5a dsID http://Hallenberg.com
debug: HWrev X5 SWrev 0.81
debug: B/Ex/Fl(MB) 32/00/08
WATCHDOG reset enabled
debug: autoboot aborted from terminal
dbox2:root> boot net net net net net net net net net net
debug:
BOOTP/TFTP bootstrap loader (v0.3)
debug:
debug: Transmitting BOOTP redebug: Got Block #0200
debug: Got Block #0250
debug: Got Block #0300
debug: Got Block #0350
will verify ELF image, start= 0x800000, size= 201596
verify sig: 262
boot net: boot file has no valid signature
Branching to 0x40000

ppcboot 0.6.4 (Apr 11 2002 - 16:10:44)

Initializing...
CPU: PPC823ZTnnA at 67 MHz: 2 kB I-Cache 1 kB D-Cache
*** Warning: CPU Core has Silicon Bugs -- Check the Errata ***
Board: ### No HW ID - assuming TQM8xxL
DRAM: (faked) 32 MB
Ethernet: 00-50-9c-1d-32-ae
FLASH: 8 MB
LCD driver (KS0713) initialized
BOOTP broadcast 1
Filename 'C/tftpboot/logo-lcd'.
Load address: 0x130000
Loading: *##
done
LCD logo at: 0x130000 (0x1F9FFC0 bytes)
BOOTP broadcast 1
Filename 'C/tftpboot/logo-fb'.
Load address: 0x120000
Loading: *####################################
done
FB logo at: 0x0 (0x1FC0000 bytes)
AVIA Frambuffer
Input: serial
Output: serial

Select (1-3), other keys to stop autoboot: 0
'bootd' recursion detected

dbox2-ppcboot> bootp 120000 /tftpboot/flash.imgBOOTP broadcast 1
Filen##################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################
done

dbox2-ppcboot> protect off 10020000 107FFFFF...............................................................
Un-Protected 63 sectors

dbox
------ Systeminformations ------
Selected networkdevice: Realtek 8139-series PCI NIC (2)
IP-address of the networkdevice: 192.168.254.199
IP-address which the dbox gets: 192.168.254.202
Operatingsystem: Microsoft Windows 98