Norton now Avira adding a crypto miner to its products

alimac

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Ashwin reported last week that Norton was adding a new component, called Norton Crypto, to its security products. Norton Crypto is a crypto currency miner that will run when the system is detected as idle. It appears that Avira is doing the same.

1642160518115.png

Avira Crypto is a crypto mining component that is integrated into (some?) Avira products.

Originally announced in October 2021, Avira Crypto was launched to help consumers "mine cryptocurrency more safely and easily, directly through the Avira platform".

Avira is adding a crypto miner to its products as well - gHacks Tech News

Key to note is that these are optional, and more of a marketing feature because in theory, you get to keep the (miniscule) crypto, after the 15% cut

Norton's response
Will Norton 360 mine my device without my permission?
No. In addition to having a device that meets system requirements, you must also turn on Norton Crypto on your device.

AVIRA's response
Avira Crypto is an opt-in feature only and is not enabled without user permission.
Avira Crypto is included as part of your Avira subscription. However, transferring Ethereum involves coin mining fees as well as transaction costs. The coin mining fee is currently 15% of the crypto allocated to the miner.

Back