Noisy PS2 Slimline

8v_chris

New Member ++
Reaction score
This is about 15 years out of date but maybe someone might know!?

Does anyone still run a PS2 slim and is it noisy? Theres a serious amount of clicking when its running. I imagine its the arm moving back and forward but it sounds like a bag of spanners in a washing machine. Theres no rhythm to it or anything and it does it on all games, its just unnerving and is there a way to try and quieten it down?

At a guess it will be a worn laser unit. There is a very small plastic nub that rests in the worm screw and it wears after time. It's probably jumping around on the screw.

At a guess it will be a worn laser unit. There is a very small plastic nub that rests in the worm screw and it wears after time. It's probably jumping around on the screw.
thanks, how hard is it to swap it out provided i can get a replacement? i take it this is what you mean?

s-l1600.jpg

thanks, how hard is it to swap it out provided i can get a replacement? i take it this is what you mean?

s-l1600.jpg

I think it was just a few screws, but the part in the picture doesn't have the worn piece on it.

Watch this conveniently timed video.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Fleebay

Loosk like they fit the ps2 and ps3 slim

Last edited:
Identification Playstation 2 Slim

The easiest way to identify which version of the PlayStation 2 Slim you have is by noting the model number on the manufacturer label on the back of your PlayStation 2 Slim (SCPH-XXXXX)
There are 4 different model numbers for the European versions of the PlayStation 2:
  • SCPH-7000X
  • SCPH-7500X
  • SCPH-7900X
  • SCPH-9000X
  • The X present in some of the model number represents a figure between 1 and 9
If you getting it from fleebay just sent the bloke a message and tell him which model you have

Back