No Output :(

MFCGMFC

Inactive User
Reaction score
hey all

got a computer here that powers up and the cpu spins like a bastard possessed but i cant get any output to the screen :( the graphics is the 7300LE

can anyone help?

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

does it have onboard graphics mate? try take the graphics card out. also check the ram as well, the usual checks. one slot at a time, use the bare minimum

Could be any number of problems and depending on age might not have a speaker, on board or other to out put the post beeps.

What MB model is it?

I just bought the psu yesterday from maplin its the trust 370watt model

the mobo is an msi board its SLI capable, cant remember teh correct product name but i'll dig it out

the ram is fine cause i've just pulled it from another machine in the slots there is 2 x 1gb sticks and 2 x 512mb sticks all running at 533mhz

the fan on the graphics runs fine

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

Have you tried another monitor? or check for bent pins on the monitor's lead; or do you need to disable onboard video in the bios. it sounds as though you have checked everything else

there is no onboard graphics, i have 2 IDE hard drives on the same channel could this be the problem i don't know how to set them to Slave/Master?

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

try removing the 2gb of memory then try
it may have 2 much memory or may not see the gb sticks

there is no onboard graphics, i have 2 IDE hard drives on the same channel could this be the problem i don't know how to set them to Slave/Master?

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

I would disconnect the drives until the PC POSTS.

Master / Slave is set with jumpers on the back of the drive 99% of the time. There should be some instructions on the label indicating what position the jumper needs to be in for the various functions. There should also be Cable Select which I have never found that reliable.

cable select should try and decide whether the drive attached is a master or slave itself depending on where the connection is made on the cable.

A lot of drives have this as the default setting for the jumper, so you wouldnt need to worry about it.

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

No this is not a problem unless one is faulty.

If you set the IDE jumpers to cable select the the bios will decide which is master and which is slave. If you can't do this thwn the one with the OS should be set to master and attached to the end of the cable.

The ide jumpers are the little black jumpers next to the power socket on the back of the drive. There should be an indication as to what pins are what on a lable on the drive or on the drive by the pins themselves.

try removing the 2gb of memory then try
it may have 2 much memory or may not see the gb sticks

davidh has a valid point here and it could easily be down to a memory conflict. You said it is an MSI motherboard but the actual model number would be a huge help. Then maybe we can shed some light on what's happening.

so i take out the memory and one of the hard drives then? just leave a 512mb stick in?

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

Yeah try one HD at a time and one memory stick until you either have a result or no result having tried allthe combinations.

Would defo help you if you let us know which model number your MSI MB is though.

I doubt it's a hard drive problem... I doubt the PSU too. Unless your graphics card needs a connection from the PSU, I'd suspect the PC not too boot at all more than no display.

I've had this problem twice on two different machines. First time was the motherboard. A major pain but a replacement sorted it. The second time was the RAM. Try with just one stick of RAM you know's compatible with your machine and then swap it with another if no joy.

Also check the capacitors on your motherboard. If they're bulging (which can be slight but if the sides stick out at all), then I would suspect the motherboard.

Graphics card is also the obvious one to check.

Good luck.

capacitors - ok

Ram - tried all, still nothing

HDD - only 1 connected at a time, still nothing

Trying to get a hold of the mate that gave me it to see what model the cpu is incase its that little bugger holding me back lol

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

Back