No more ViRginHD despite Sky launches

Zooropa

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
****** Media has confirmed its policy on linear high definition content has not changed despite Sky's growing lineup of high definition channels.

Some forum members, disappointed at ******'s HD offering, believe they have been promised more by the company in the past. Currently it only carries BBC HD and selected content on its video on demand service.

Following the addition of Eurosport HD to Sky's high definition package, Bayards, a ****** subscriber from London, noted: "I expect we will not see this on ****** - shame as alternative Olympics coverage would be great."

Blake Connolly said: "...at the moment if you're looking for HD broadcasts VM wouldn't really be an option worth considering. Eurosport HD isn't the only new HD channel to launch on Sky within the next few weeks, so the gap keeps growing."

****** adopted a policy of focusing on broadband speeds rather than competing with Sky on premium TV, such as sport, movies and HD, last year. Chief technology officer Howard Watson repeated in April that HD was not a priority.

"Our strategy on HD hasn't changed and we will continue to add the best available programming to our on demand system," a spokeswoman told DS.

"There will be extensive coverage of the Beijing Olympics in HD on BBC HD, which all HD-ready ****** Media customers will be able to receive without the need for any form of HD subscription."

By Dave West, Media Correspondent

I find it very strange why \/irgin dont seem intrested in adding HD content ?
seems more focused in its VOD services
athough some of that is HD isnt it

could it be their servers couldn't keep up with the streaming? i'm not sure how it works but i think a hd stream is about 10MB/sec? i'm probably miles wrong lol

And the HD VOD only works through HDMI not component, so we only get BBC HD. I think it's a poor show on their behalf and we have been told more channels are going to be added, but how long do you have to wait?

seems more focused in its VOD services
athough some of that is HD isnt it

I suspect vm's long term plans may be to completely abandon broadcast tv and go to a totally vod system or, if that doesn't work out, to abandon tv altogether in favour of broadband (and possibly broadband delivered vod via a local hard disk drive). Without tv taking up bandwidth the available internet bandwidth into the home would be nearly 100 times what it is now and possibly a lot more if that bandwidth was utilised effectively.

I'd go in your direction Nozzer but not as far :). Over an overall long-term view this is how I see it-
I think they will continue with basic tv and selling the bonus benefit of vod, but that the divide between subscription-channels and standard basic tv will get bigger.
Sky now want £70 per month for top HD tv package (inc sports, movies & setanta) and I can see this heading nearer to £100 per month top subs in the future, while majority of people want to spend less than £20 for wide range choice. I think cable will offer as many services and as much as it can to suit the majority, and begin to steer away from being the 'elite' provider. This just seems how the market is heading in general with BT-vision, top-up, freesat(bbc/itv), and now cable all wanting to find the future from the same bulk mass-market. Whilst sky want to keep out-bidding for rights and paying increasing stupid amounts for sport and exclusive content, and aim for the top slice of the rich market.

With HD channels such as Eurosport or Discovery or Nat Geo or various other broadcasters, it will become interesting to see which side of the fence they end up on. On one hand its good to get lump sum income deals from exclusivity but whats the point if you have minimal viewers and no advertisers. For instance, a free or low-priced 'HDmovies' channel could have more viewers and more profit from being available to the masses rather than the top-slice of rich.

I just think the divide will get bigger and it will become easier to see which channels & providers sit on each side. HD content will come to us all but the big gap between wealthy & mass-market will be filled with 'other' servces like vod or iptv services.

Back