No more sky basics?

solster

Inactive User
Reaction score
has anyone seen the news about Sky being their usual selfs and doubling the price of Sky Basics, therefore Virgin Media dropping it from Cable TV ?

they on about signing up with HBO, but what channels will we be losing? i know Sky One will be gone soon.

My worry for us is that VM plan to spend the cash saved on VOD, I can see a day when all cable is VOD and thats an end to our boxes

Yep i agree with you there SVOD (subscription video on demand) isnt far off, you pay a monthly bill and have access to loads of VOD content. I can see different levels of subs which govern what vod you can access. VM have been busy aquiring lots of stuff for vod content anyway. I think its a case of how quick they can free up bandwidth used by the analogue system for the use in more profitable purposes..

My worry for us is that VM plan to spend the cash saved on VOD, I can see a day when all cable is VOD and thats an end to our boxes

if everyone in your area had to use vod, wouldnt it be possible to leech the services off them? or would this mean only leeching the channel they are currently watching and when they need a whizz we gotta watch paused tv?

but then again... nothing lasts forever.... could see a shortfall of demand for the dreambox in the UK if that happened.

Ye this is just Sky stampin its boots on Virgin to let them know who is Boss
the channels will maybe go but not for long

Basically, if VM went for a VOD idea for everything bar the channels that are available FTA, then only real subbed boxes would work (untill we work out somethink else) But I have no idea what that something else will be, we cannot enable talkback to talk to there servers, grabing someone elses feed is crap as they will pause FF etc when we do not want to, the only thing I can think of is hacking their servers, having a freind that works for VM adding your address etc.

In a lot of ways it makes sense for VM to go this way it just hurts me

Basically, if VM went for a VOD idea for everything bar the channels that are available FTA, then only real subbed boxes would work (untill we work out somethink else) But I have no idea what that something else will be, we cannot enable talkback to talk to there servers, grabing someone elses feed is crap as they will pause FF etc when we do not want to, the only thing I can think of is hacking their servers, having a freind that works for VM adding your address etc.

In a lot of ways it makes sense for VM to go this way it just hurts me
Think if they go this way they loose a lot of broadband customers?

i think they would loose alot of customers, because most of us who have dreamboxes pay a minimum sub to N*L, if it came to it that we couldnt get the extra channels free and had to pay for them, alot of people would turn to sky i think.Sky is a much better service IMO

i think they would loose alot of customers, because most of us who have dreamboxes pay a minimum sub to N*L, if it came to it that we couldnt get the extra channels free and had to pay for them, alot of people would turn to sky i think.Sky is a much better service IMO

I agree totally with that. I sat here with an HD ready tv in an area where the cable co refuse to supply an HD signal, insisting that their VOD services are the way forward (which I never watch!!). I'm just looking for an excuse to hand back my subbed box and go directly to sky, the loss of sky one/two etc could just be that excuse!

i cant see them losing many broadband customers thou, with virgin's new pix-n-mix you can keep the broadband and get rid of the tv and phone.

its still a bit harsh thou that ppl with a dreambox and pay a minimum fee but get all the channels anyway will jump to a subscription on sky because virgin have found a way to stop ppl connin them off free channels.

whats wrong with a subscription on virgin? for me the amount of HD at the moment isnt worth jumping and seeing as we took several pounds worth of channels off virgin for free, i would rather give them something back now they managed to stop us rather than give it all to their arch enemy who basically monopolises anything they can.

Even if we were ever to loose all channels on cable, I still wouldn't go to Sky. I'm quite happy with whats available on satellite using my Technomate receiver.

Back