No entry for PDAs at Alton Towers Resort

totalgenius

Inactive User
Reaction score
Theme park Alton Towers Resort has imposed a pilot ban on the use of personal digital assistants (PDAs) on its premises until June 2008, to ensure that parents spend more time with their children.

The resort will create PDA Free Zone and deploy PDA police on the premises to enforce the ban. Adults found with PDAs will be asked to deposit their devices at one of the five PDA Drop Off Zones. They can collect the gadgets while leaving the premises.

Alton plans to impose a permanent ban on the use of PDAs if the pilot proves to be successful. The Alton Towers Resort in Staffordshire countryside includes two hotels, a water park, a spa, a golf course and 19th century gothic towers.

Russell Barnes, divisional director for the Alton Towers Resort, said: "What we have here is the ultimate short break location where every member of the family can unwind and have fun. We feel it's so important for parents and kids to focus on nothing more than having the best possible time, we are prepared to take drastic action to ensure that parents really leave their work behind."

Alton has said that its decision has been inspired by research findings that children are fed up with their parents spending more time reading their emails. About 56% of the UK parents surveyed in the research have admitted that they are constantly accessible by the office. About 40% go on a holiday taking along documents to read, PDAs and laptops.

By Bhavana Navuluri
http://www.cbronline.com/article_news.asp?guid=914DAE8A-0FD3-4039-A35A-7539D833C301

Seems a little pointless to me... How many people actually take a PDA to Alton Towers, lol :) just seems like a little ploy for any kind of advertising they can get... PDA police :)

What if you plant your babies with GPS devices and you need the PDA to track them???

Who the FOOK did they ask?

I can guarantee that no-one *I* know goes on holiday with a PDA.

Was the survey done in Notting Hill, Mayfair or Belgravia?!

you can just imagine it

the security guard searching someone finds a gun, 2 sticks of dynamite, a dm500c and says nothing, finds a PDA and as quick as you can say Alton Towers 2 for the price of 1 the poor sods in the back of the van handcuffed

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

HaHa

now what do they define as PDA?
There are a large number of mobile phones out know that operate the same as a PDA.
When i read the title i was thinking they was worried about people logging wifi signals or something rofl

Rollercoasters connected to wifi. Hmm maybe!

i want that job!!!

"EXCUSE ME SIR,IM A MEMBER OF THE PDA SPECIAL OPS TEAM GET DOWN ON THE FLOOR AND SPREAD EM BIATCH"

and then go and spend my lunch break on a rollercoaster cushtie

Why dont they just use a Wifi/GPRS/GSM/GPS Jammer lol

What are you meant to play with while waiting for your child who is standing a queue that will last for an hour or two?

Alton Towers is vastly overpriced and overrated. I wouldn't take my family there anyway.

This is a stupid PR stunt to get them some free publicity. Do they really give a crap about our children?

Back