General News Nintendo wins legal case over ROM site, site owner ordered to pay $12 million in damages

spud1966

Staff member
Reaction score
Earlier this summer, Nintendo filed a lawsuit against Jacob Mathias, otherwise known as the owner of LoveROMS and LoveRETRO
Sites that notoriously hosted ROM files of retro Nintendo games. Immediately following the legal suit, both of the aforementioned domains were shut down to prevent further issue. Nintendo's legal action also had effects on other websites that had illegal content hosted on their servers, such as Emuparadise, which removed all download links shortly after the lawsuit was made public.

Mathias and his wife, who were both charged on mass copyright infringement, plead guilty to the actions of trademark infringement and damages to Nintendo. They then entered settlement talks in order to find an agreeable amount of money to pay as reparations.

Today, the final judgement for the case came in, showing that both Jacob Mathias and Nintendo had agreed for the former to pay $12,230,000 to the latter, over 12 million dollars.

WOW that's a heavy fine guys , looks like a lot of places will be removing Nintendo Roms form their sites now

So the judge awards compensation at a level that probably carnt be paid !

Is he paying it at a tenner a week ?

I should probably stock up for my retro needs but there are so many platforms and downloads.

I think I have nearly all roms and most emulators, around 4.5tb. Been collecting them for years. I just get updates these days and any additional files that come along. I may even get around to playing more than a dozen or so. :)

I think I have nearly all roms and most emulators, around 4.5tb. Been collecting them for years. I just get updates these days and any additional files that come along. I may even get around to playing more than a dozen or so. :)

Why not start your own website up? ;)

Back