Nintendo sues 5 Japan firms over game equipment

little_pob

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Japan's Nintendo Co Ltd said on Tuesday it had filed a lawsuit against five Japanese firms for importing and selling equipment that enables illegal game programs to be played on Nintendo's popular DS portable video game player.

Nintendo said it filed the lawsuit earlier in the day at the Tokyo District Court together with 54 other Japanese software makers.

Aiko Hayashi
TOKYO (Reuters)
http://www.reuters.com/article/technologyNews/idUST8746920080729

I read on Kotaku this afternoon that they were going for the R4 in particular. Dont blame them really, shrewd business move as well.

Make it dead easy for the games to be pirated then pull the rug out from under everyones feet ;)

Thing is though, there are legit apps that run on these carts. e.g. I've used the open source ScummVM DS to play Monkey Island I and II (own the PC version of both on CD).

Does that not depend on whether reverse engineering is allowed in the country of the cart user?

And is reverse engineering on equipment you own allowed in the UK?

I am not sure the current state of the law in the UK allows reverse engineering or not, especially after that modchip case.

As for other countries, again I am unsure. I would hazard its illegal however.

I am not sure the current state of the law in the UK allows reverse engineering or not, especially after that modchip case.

Its not illegal in the uk to reverse engineer as long as its not for the purposes of circumventing copy protection or encryption systems and as long as no copyrighted code is used in the resultant product.

I've spent years reverse engineering products and protocols for the purpose of making compatible add ons.

Its not illegal in the uk to reverse engineer as long as its not for the purposes of circumventing copy protection or encryption systems and as long as no copyrighted code is used in the resultant product.

I've spent years reverse engineering products and protocols for the purpose of making compatible add ons.

nozzer you have used way too many big words there and should be banned!! :)

nozzer you have used way too many big words there and should be banned!! :)

Sorry, that was a direct quote from one of the legal bods at one of the companies I have contracted for so not my language (although I do tend to use far too many big words ;) )

Sorry, that was a direct quote from one of the legal bods at one of the companies I have contracted for so not my language (although I do tend to use far too many big words ;) )

grrrr, next time matey the thesaurus comes out, then you will have it :)

Back