Nikon D3200 DSLR advice

Re: Nikon D3200 DSLR advise

If anyone has the full book please post it for us :)

Can somebody de-code what this means and what the lens would be useful for (considering only have the 18-55 kits lens for it) and if £100 is a decent price for it,

AF-S DX VR 55-200mm f/4-5.6G IF-ED

Looking on-line here https://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9919/~/glossary-of-nikkor-lens-terms

AF-S is Auto-Focus Silent
DX - Designed for DSLR
VR - Vibration Reduction
IF - Internal Focus
ED - Extra-Low Dispersion glass

this it the lens that's the next set up and one you will use the most out of the 18-55 or the 55-200
its worth the money and the going price is about £100 . plenty on ebay go for about 70 ish and can be had as part of the kit I posted
for £399

AF-S is Auto-Focus Silent = the mount Nikon use for their DSLRs.
DX - Designed for DSLR = aimed at croped sensors and would cause vignetting (black corners) on full frame and film cameras.
VR - Vibration Reduction = Optical stabiliataion is built into the lens on the Nikon system.
IF - Internal Focus = the lens doesn't "telescope" in and out as you focus.
ED - Extra-Low Dispersion glass = reduces the amount of chromatic aberration.

Can somebody de-code what this means and what the lens would be useful for (considering only have the 18-55 kits lens for it) and if £100 is a decent price for it,
New, that lens is £240+ provided it's the IF-ED version. There is a very similarly named lens without VR or IF for half the price.

Last edited:

New, that lens is £240+ provided it's the IF-ED version. There is a very similarly named lens without VR or IF for half the price.

I've the exact lens on fleabay for around £90 so I might try and knock him down a bit. It was part of a package that currys were doing with DX3100 and there are quite a few on fleabay.

I bought the kit from currys - lovely camera will post some pics up later that I snapped :)

I got the same kits still getting my head round it, but so far very impressed with it, just ordered a bag to keep in tidy.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

One thing I did forget to mention; it's much easier to rent Nikon and Canon lenses than it is the less popular marques.

Lens rental is ideal where you're going away for the weekend, have a specific shot in mind that you know you can't get with your current kit, or just want to try-before-you-buy over a couple of days.

Where do you rent them, I really like the 55-200 lens taking lovely snaps of my marine fish close up :)

Will get some pictures up when I get better at them

Right chaps not really had time to play with mine as yet, all I have done is unpack it and put it in a canvas bag from HERE :) just wondering what's the battery life like on this D3200 model?

very good mate .can go a couple a weeks without charging depending much I use . I would say easy 1000 pics

with flash and using the screen instead of viewfinder, still getting a full day's use with around 500 photos.

with flash and using the screen instead of viewfinder, still getting a full day's use with around 500 photos.

been having a look about on ebay and you can get an side grip battery pack which takes 2 battery's for around £20 which looks OK

LOOK HERE

just did a day in london with the camera. Nearly 400 photos. Camera on most of the day. Lots of flash use. Mainly using screen as view finder. Still had some charge left from a fully charged battery.

Forgot to add that my mrs took the 55-200mm lens as well as the kit lens. Took a wide variety of photos from close in wildlife at Regent park to portrait stuff with kids to general scenic and zoom shots from river cruise. I'll that to say the kit lens covered 90% of the shots as long as you are happy doing a bit of post-production.

Displaying RAW images on a HD TV, you can easily zoom in to 3x without losing any quality so unless you are planning on printing poster sized photos, you can get away without a massive zoom lens.

From early morning at Tower Hill (amazing poppy display) to sunset at the London eye. Left the camera on automatic aperture mode most of the day and using the little -/+ control for fine control. Let the camera deal with everything else and generally every photo was spot on.

Back