Nicolas Anelka given 18-match France suspension

jaffa

Inactive User
Reaction score
Nicolas Anelka has been banned for 18 matches by the French Football Federation (FFF) over his conduct at this summer's World Cup. Anelka, 31, was sent home from South Africa after a row with coach Raymond Domenech and, in protest, the France squad boycotted a training session.
Patrice Evra was captain of the team and has been banned for five matches for his part in the revolt.
Franck Ribery has been suspended for three and Jeremy Toulalan for one.
Eric Abidal made up the five players who were summoned to the FFF disciplinary hearing on Tuesday and he escaped punishment.
The quintet were highlighted as the key players in the embarrassing controversy which surrounded the French team at the World Cup following Anelka's outburst at Domenech during the loss to Mexico saw him banished.
o.gif

Evra and Ribery were summoned for not performing their duties properly as captain and vice-captain, while Toulalan was seen as the perpetrator behind a statement read out by Domenech explaining why the players had refused to train.
Abidal's offence was his refusal to play in the final group match against South Africa, which France lost 2-1.
France were also beaten 2-0 by Mexico following a goalless draw in their opening fixture against Uruguay as they produced a string of poor performances which saw them exit the competition following the group stages.
Anelka did not show up at the disciplinary hearing and his international career now appears to be all but over.
Ribery was also an absentee but his club Bayern Munich did not allow him to attend with the Bundesliga starting its season this weekend and the German champions facing Wolfsburg in their opening game on Friday.
The pair sent representatives, while Evra, Toulalan and Abidal were present for the lengthy hearing, along with Domenech.
Former deputy managing director of the team Jean-Louis Valentin said: "I sensed that the players are truthfully sorry, and been left damaged and mortified at what took place, they were conscious of a collective meltdown.
"I believe that now it is imperative we turn the page and move on.
"I believe that to a certain extent there has been a very good dialogue in there (at the commission) which lasted a relatively long time.
"As a lover of the French team, and as a supporter of the France team, I think that each player has the right to a second chance."
Domenech has been replace by Laurent Blanc and he did not select any of the 23-man World Cup squad for his recent first game in charge against Norway, which France lost 2-1.
The FFF has also withheld World Cup advertising bonuses which were due to be paid to players.
Blanc will now be without the banned players for the team's Euro 2012 qualifying campaign, starting against Belarus in Paris on 3 September.

BBC Sport - Football - Nicolas Anelka given 18-match France suspension

He has already announced his retirement from French grapes the ban mean nothing to him

doesnt seem to be bothered about anything him , look when he missed the penalty against man u

personally i thought it was a joke they put a time limit on his ban, they should have just banned him outright...he's in his 30s and they way he is with his attitude I had strong feeling once he got sent home he was going to never play for France again.
Anyway he's said himself he wont play for France again and thinks the french federation are a bunch of jokers lol

He just laughed and called it a nonsense according to BBC sport, and to be honest that's exactly what it is. Should have just banned him full stop as he wont ever play for the national team again. Looks like they gave Evra 5 matches too, wish they had give him more for totally selfish reasons.

Hi

This is just a joke really, he`s told them to stuffit so he aint bothered by it at all. The French Federation should have just said Anelka is never going to play for France again rather than giving him a 18 game ban meaning that he could be considered again once ban is over.

Why would Anelka want to play for France again, why would France want him to play again.

Regards

Last edited:
Back