NFC for people who forget their keys.

fus10n

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
So guys, I was thinking about using some stick on NFC chips and connect them to a phone so that if someone leaves the house without their keys or wallet it would set of an alarm, on the phone, due to the keys or whatever item leaving the vicinity of the mobile phone it was tied to. My understanding of NFC chips is limited to my bank card but it seems they can be programmed but also that they have a short range? Can the range be more than a few centimetres, maybe half a metre to a metre?

I was thinking to use these or these

Last edited:
So guys, I was thinking about using some stick on NFC chips and connect them to a phone so that if someone leaves the house without their keys or wallet it would set of an alarm, on the phone, due to the keys or whatever item leaving the vicinity of the mobile phone it was tied to. My understanding of NFC chips is limited to my bank card but it seems they can be programmed but also that they have a short range? Can the range be more than a few centimetres, maybe half a metre to a metre?

I was thinking to use these

I don't think you will get the range and it will be directional if I've got your meaning right.

A way round that might be to have some app that you check your bits and pieces into before you go out by putting them next to the phone. That would get round the distance problem and having to use tags that can be silenced to prevent data collision.

I thought of something similar when I worked at somewhere that used transponders in alarms in the early 2000s but their range was quite limited then.

I've been having memory problems for quite some time now. I've resorted to sticking a post-it note on my back door that just says' THINK!! It works well and I've never left home without my wallet or keys since.

If you leave the house without ya keys you are locked out....:rolleyes:

Think rfid tags would be the way to go but smart phones are not able to read those...

i use this little device.. yes takes a lot of battery's ;)

NFC is nices off course but you dont like that big antenna's for the distance ;)

Attachments

• sku_3407_1.jpg
    sku_3407_1.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 7
I had a similar idea (well not that similar) a few years back when car-jacking was in the headlines, whereby you'd have an RFID device on your person (not keyring) and a reader in the car. If you car was taken it would drive so far (giving you time to get to a safe place) and then die after a preset time as it was out of range of the RFID "key".

I had a similar idea (well not that similar) a few years back when car-jacking was in the headlines, whereby you'd have an RFID device on your person (not keyring) and a reader in the car. If you car was taken it would drive so far (giving you time to get to a safe place) and then die after a preset time as it was out of range of the RFID "key".

I think they do have something like this called 'onstar' that does this these days....if you wrote the idea down on paper you could sue :p

I really must start writing things like this down. It's not the first time someone else had the same idea as I. The last time I 'invented' something someone else came up with with the identical idea and it came second on Dragon's Den.

My wife had a bad habit of locking herself out, so we opted instead for a keypad door lock. I got a basic one, but some of the newer fancier ones support things like bluetooth and wifi connections, so this may be something to think about rather than an NFC tag system. That way, you're not reliant on making sure to remember the tag if you forget your keys (or even forget your keys and your phone!)

Another idea I had for my own house was a fingerprint reader. But a local nursing home had one installed and the installer was having to come back continually and they ended up with a keypad. Maybe they're not that reliable.

Back