Next stage of application - Telephone interview

smithy69

Inactive User
Reaction score
Right guys, so ive found pretty much the perfect job for me. Im currently stuck at sainsburys working part time. I have 10 GCSE's all C's apart from maths which I got an A in. I also have a level 2 AAT qualification.

Now I have applied for an apprenticeship with a well known company. They have now asked me to attent a telephone interview. I have booked it for the 2nd Feb midday. Does anyone have any advice for me as I remember when I was 16 I had one of these for a bank and I fell to pieces lol. :(

I have been working at sainsburys for 3 years now part time so I know how a business runs etc. However I just really want to show them how much I want this job and really want to get it!

So any advice?

Cheers
Adam

try and find out more about the type of interview, are they likely to go down a compentancy based route.
Also telephone interview should be easy as you can come up with some scenerios and right them down to read back verbatim, i.e is there likely to be a customer service angle to the job in any form, you should be able to make loads of good examples up working in Sainsburys even if you have to invent scenerios, customer service awards etc.. you will stroll it :)

Telephone interviews are basically to see how you come across, and what your answers are. Ensure you use key words, sound enthusiatic and confident on the phone. You will be asked to provide answers to scenarios, so think on your feet and just make it all up.

Be polite, and ask questions.

As per all interviews, find out as much as you can about the company and the market they operate in. Find out as much as possible about the apprenticeship, how long it last, what it involves, what skills are required and will be learnt, etc.

They will see what you can bring to the company using your skills and experience. Looks at situations where you have used your skills to solve business problems, customer service, even stuff outside of work like organising groups or clubs. Any voluntary work your have done, etc Specific examples where you did something.

As others have said they basically want to find out roughly how you come across. Are you confident, are enthusiastic, are you polite, etc

Most of all, the obvious about don't be late, make sure you are in a quite area, etc don't get too worked up over it, stay relaxed and as long as you know your stuff you will be fine.

Cheers guys, now if I get to the next stage after that I go to an open day and have to do a five minute presentation!! Cable hacking?! haha joke. Not sure what I would do that on. However I have to get through this stage 1st! Im going to start thinking up scenarios now. The thing is I never see myself as a confident person :( however I will be very enthusiatic as I want this job so bad.

Also Janobi when you say ask questions, what sort of questions?

Cheers guys

no slang terms, put on your best 'phone voice', be friendly, honest, polite, ask about the job, read up on the company in advance so u know a little about them.

find out what the relevent qualifications are that are available after you finish the apprentaship ends and ask when finished do they train further .
make sure at the end of the interview you thank them for taking the time to call you and that you hope to meet them in the next round and put a face to a name ect.
best of luck m8

Hi mate,

Not really anything i can say that aint already been said but i would say try not to think about it to much. Yes go thru some things but not to much as u will just end up confusing yourself and have so much in ur head u wont know if your coming or going.

All the best for the interview too.

Also what Sainsburys u at, could you get me discount. :lol:

Ray

Im at the one at mere green mate, and no my nan would kill me if I gt it confiscated haha!!

Whats the apprenticeship in?

I've recently finished mines in Mechanical Engineering.

If its something similar be sure to ask about training programs, what qualifications will be gained, will they be sending you to a training centre or college ect.

Then basically go on their website, see what they do exactly then ask them questions about it all, its good for you to seem interested in the company.

Yep its today 12.30! Also the apprenticeship is with Virgin as a field technician pretty much fitting all the stuff lol

Would be good if I could get it as ive always loved technology and like to be hands on!

Wish me luck :)

Not sure how it went to be honest, got nervous and started talking a load of shite lol

As long as it was good shite you was talking you will be fine goodluck Adam keep us posted:Clap:

Good luck mate was told today by job center they have no funding so thats me up the shite tbh as i wanted to go to college PT but said they aint got the funding:(.Hope it goes well for u fella

virgin should take you mate but if they dont count it as a blessing and apply for the next round of BT apprenticeship ,this is a very good scheme

good luck what ever happens

Back