Newly Installed Dreambox DM 500S

Purpol_Ribun

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Total Newbie here - I hope someone might take the time out to help me.
I've just had a Dreambox DM 500s installed. It doesn't have a cared but has a 6 month subscription loaded (I am in Bahrain). During installation my satellite dish LNB was tweaked to receive 3 satellites (Nilesat, Arabsat and Hotbird).
The problem I am having is that my internet is via broadband dongle plugge d into an XP system. I have enabled the network bridge and ICS. Currently I am using a CAT5 ethernet cable, will pick up a crossover tomorrow.
Thing is I am a bit stumped and not sure what to do, the system receives free channels and starts up with the Gemini screen.
I don't know if I need to flash, update etc. Mainly I just want to be able to hook the dreambox up to my internet via my PC without having to pay for a router/wired internet.
Any advice or help or anything would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

P_R

Edited to add: While I am fairly computer literate I am completely new to the who dreambox thing and am starting at the very beginning.

Last edited:
With a direct connection from the DM to your PC, a cross-over ethernet cable is an absolute MUST! Otherwise, the two machines cannot communicate with each other.

Currently, you have: RX > RX and TX > TX
not cool...
You need: RX > TX and TX > RX

Once you have this two-way x-over connection established, the rest is just down to tweaking Network settings and fine-tuning. Meanwhile, enjoy the FTA services!

Cheers- AL :)

Thanks for the advice - got it running with a crossover cable but it was a pain having to move the laptop all the time.
Got broadband put in and the Dreambox didn't work at all - the company came out to have a look and it turned out to have a fault.
All replaced and finally working now!

Thanks

Back