newby needs help

rugbygriff

Inactive User
Reaction score
maybe that should be old newby! hav got new barebones system and cant get it to boot. hav included hdd from previous pc xp is on it any ideas cheers

maybe that should be old newby! hav got new barebones system and cant get it to boot. hav included hdd from previous pc xp is on it any ideas cheers

Your old HDD will have all the wrong drivers on it? I think you'll need to start from scratch for the best performance mate? I.e. Set you bios to boot from CD and insert your windows CD to wipe the drive and re-install.

If you can't get that far, then chances are a jumper on your motherboard will need changed?

All that info should have come with your systen though?

I suppose the first thing is being sure that the HDD is installed correctly. Make sure that it is recognised in your BIOS and that it is set as a boot device. Even if there are driver issues, in my experience you would usually at least get to teh Windows boot up screen.

I suppose the first thing is being sure that the HDD is installed correctly. Make sure that it is recognised in your BIOS and that it is set as a boot device. Even if there are driver issues, in my experience you would usually at least get to teh Windows boot up screen.

ITA, make sure you can see it in BIOS before you do anything, actually you won't be able to wipe it unless you can see it in BIOS.

How much difference it there between old and new machine (CPU, chipset, etc)

Sorry for delay in replying have been unwell (too many pc headaches lol) but thanx for your help. It was driver probs but is now up and running once again many thanx

Back