Newbie issues

billy_boy786

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi dreamboxers, im new to this scene, so please forgive for my lack of knowlege.

Got my dreambox 2 days ago (was shocked at its size, i guess its true when they say "size doesnt matter") connected it all up in a rather weird fashion:

The main feed has a 2 way splitter, 1 goin to Dbox2 (in living room) and the other is a feed going upstairs (my room). On the end of this feed is another 2 way splitter, 1 going to modem and the other to dreambox (nb: i am not using any boosters)

Took me some time sorting all the cabling out but it works fine. Flashed the Genini 3.4 uk modded img to the box. Had an issue with the dreambox after 1st scan (could only view FTA) had a play with the CAMDs and found MGCamd1.19 to be most stable, getting pic and sound on all channels.

However when i leave it on a channel for around 30 odd mins it goes blank, no pic no sound but i can change to a different channel and it works fine, but still blank when i come back to the 1 that i was watching for 30mins.

I would also like to add, it does not matter what channel i am watching it still goes after 30 mins, the only way to get it working again, that ive discovered so far, is a reboot.

Any ideas? would be much appreciated, and thank you in advance

Billy

Last edited:
Dreamboxes are stubborn when on a weak signal. Try swapping the dbox2 and the dreambox and the signal will be stonger downstairs. Also try another few images, it might be that the box just doesn't like that image. Does it do the same with FTA channels? If yes, then it's not an emu problem, it something to do with the box or the signal.

Dreamboxes are stubborn when on a weak signal. Try swapping the dbox2 and the dreambox and the signal will be stonger downstairs. Also try another few images, it might be that the box just doesn't like that image. Does it do the same with FTA channels? If yes, then it's not an emu problem, it something to do with the box or the signal.

Hey Devilfish, just sat through Neighbours (BBC1) start to end, (yes, i also dont know how i done it lol) but NO freezing, from my room upstairs. worked 100%, so i think its safe to say its not a signal matter, or am i wrong?

Havent tried any other images yet, was thinking of trying a neurino image as im so use to my dbox2, is there 1 you would recomend and if possible send a link.

cheers

I found the gemini image very very twitchy. I am very new to the dreambox scene and being curious i have been having a play all day. The gemini image i couldn't get to work for more than 10 mins before it started stuttering and stammering. Got fed up messing with the cams so just switched back to DW1.6.1 and all is well.

HTH

Scott =op

To Flash
========

VIA DREAMUP

If you use dreamup:
1) Flash Erase
2) Flash image but SAY NO TO FLASH ERASE DURING FLASH!!!!
or it will erase /var after flashing it lol.

VIA FTP

If you have a maxvar image installed (eg gemini 3.30) or are not sure then
you will need to flash the dmm 1.08 or 1.09 image with dreamup first (via serial)
to clear the partitions.

Then ftp dreamplus.img to /tmp
telnet to the box and type

cd /tmp && /bin/eraseall /dev/mtd/3 && cp dreamplus.img /dev/mtd/3 && reboot

You will see progress for the erase but NOT for the flash, please leave the box alone,
do NOT pull the power, it will reboot in about 4 mins!!!

If you aren't using a maxvar image, skip the dreamup part.

To Flash
========

VIA DREAMUP

If you use dreamup:
1) Flash Erase
2) Flash image but SAY NO TO FLASH ERASE DURING FLASH!!!!
or it will erase /var after flashing it lol.

VIA FTP

If you have a maxvar image installed (eg gemini 3.30) or are not sure then
you will need to flash the dmm 1.08 or 1.09 image with dreamup first (via serial)
to clear the partitions.

Then ftp dreamplus.img to /tmp
telnet to the box and type

cd /tmp && /bin/eraseall /dev/mtd/3 && cp dreamplus.img /dev/mtd/3 && reboot

You will see progress for the erase but NOT for the flash, please leave the box alone,
do NOT pull the power, it will reboot in about 4 mins!!!

If you aren't using a maxvar image, skip the dreamup part.

Sorry for the late reply, i was out of the country for a few days, just wanted to ask a few questions...

What is a maxvar image? im currently using gemini 3.40, is this a maxvar image?

If so (i think) i will need to flash the original image (dmm 1.08 or 1.09) onto the dreambox first right? can this be come without a serial null modem cable as i do not have 1 at hand at the moment, will a x-over cable be ok?

Back