newbie help

jjlee

Inactive User
Reaction score
i have recently found out about the dbox2 and have a few queries
1/ I have n*l broadband and from what ive read beleive i can use this to get cable but one of my worries is wouldnt it look suss my usage suddenly flying up or doesnt it work like that.
2/ If i split this signal would my broadband speed suffer.
3/ would i be best off just getting the cheapest cable package of n*l and using the dbox on that.
4/ which in peoples opinions is the best box and why do you think that
5/ What are the card slots for on the dboxes
I used to have on digital and prog my own cards so not totally green on this subject just lagging behind

1.... yes u can see the broadband cable its fine. and no, nothing will look suspicious as the dbox doesnt have talkback and cannot communicate with the cable company. The TV channels are sent down the line to every TV in the street so no extra usage would show up.

2.... your broadband speed will not suffer; you still get the speed that you pay for.
3.... if you have broadband then thats enough. if you really want to get the cheapest TV package then go for it; but if you already subsribe to broadband then theres little point.

4.... Sagem DBOX2; they are less prone to faults and the parts are more easily interchangable. Sagems are known for power problems whereas Nokias are known for tuner problems - power failures are easier to fix.

5.... The card slots on the DBOX are not used - they are for the original PayTV subscribers in Germany. Here in the UK we use a software CAM to "emulate" a card. This virtual card autoupdates itself when the keys change.

Hope this helps.

yeah thats a massive help thanks a lot, now to find a well priced box from a reliable dealer and a big roll of cable to run downstairs what type of cable should i use

They come under diff names, but all do the same thing, Digital Satelite Cable, RG6, H109, CT100, have a look on ebay, or B & Q, even Argos sell it 10m for £4.99 with F-plugs fitted & a F-coupler.
If you buy just the cable on it's own, make sure you buy some f-plugs to go one each end of the cable, also buy an F-coax adaptor to plug into the back of the dbox, or you could use a normal coax plug that you usually find on the end of your tv ariel lead.

f-plug looks like this
p1681699_l.jpg

F-coax adaptor looks like this
ac_2.JPG

You may also need a splitter
splitter5mu.jpg

can some one now point me in the direction of a trustworthy and reliable dealer please was going to use flea bay but would rather not if i didnt have to unless some one knows somebody on there who is good

I've had no problems with ebay, i got 90% of everything i need off there, look for someone who's cheap & has decent feedback, but like i said previous, B&Q supply everything you need, not sure about the splitter though.

1 more question i hope i have been reading a lot of the posts with people connecting the box to the pc how often do you have to do this as the comp is tucked away in another room or does it depend on what box and image you use

thanks thats a great tutorial so basically if everything goes well it doesnt need connecting back to the pc after that great
has anybody been caught using dbox2 and if so what were the consequences

Back