Newbie DeBug Questions... help plz!!!

craig3975

Inactive User
Reaction score
hi guys, got a box that appears not to be in debug mode, read stemcells tutorial but have a few questions before I proceed!!!

1. Can I Debug without using a Null Modem Cable??? or is it vital to the process?

2. When you stick the wire in to reset the box etc I presume the box has to be connected to the mains? right? also, whats the best thing to use for this?

Any help really appreciated.

cheers

;)

craig3975 said:
hi guys, got a box that appears not to be in debug mode, read stemcells tutorial but have a few questions before I proceed!!!

1. Can I Debug without using a Null Modem Cable??? or is it vital to the process?

2. When you stick the wire in to reset the box etc I presume the box has to be connected to the mains? right? also, whats the best thing to use for this?

Any help really appreciated.

cheers

;)

1. Yes, you 100% need a null modem cable to type in commands in bootmanager. You cant debug a box without one.

2. When you stick the wire on to the point, you are effectively short circuiting it. Therefore the box must be connected to the mains (live electricity scares people ;)) A simple wire will do the trick, no matter how thick or thin.

Liam

ok, cheers liam.

one other thing..... my laptop has only got a serial port for a printer (the bigger one) can I connect a null modem cable to this? or would a serial to usb connector work?

cheers

You're in the same position as me - why dont they put serial ports on laptops these days :confused:

Unfortunately you wont be able to connect it to the printer port. You could try a usb to serial adapter but be warned that some (most) dont work well enough. Maybe a member on here can recommend one that definately works...

It might be easier to just find a PC that has the right port.

Hope that helps,
Liam

dammit!!! useless laptops! lol!!!!

i got an old pc with no network connection so i'm stuck both ways!!! LOL !

craig3975 said:
dammit!!! useless laptops! lol!!!!

i got an old pc with no network connection so i'm stuck both ways!!! LOL !

Buy a PCI network card from maplins, £3.95... gets you a network connection ;)

Back