NEW to the gym? Want a workout but dont know where to start?

stuz

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi there folks. I'll start by introducing myself. My main sport is hockey, I started weight training when I was 14 and was playing at a national standard. My coach recommended building more strength in my legs so I could play closer to the ground and set me up with some resistance training exercises. From there I became hooked and got really serious with my local gym. From there I managed to get a job with the team of instructors and I am now qualified to instruct people as a P.T.

Obviously whenever someone comes into the gym and pays for a programme, we will work with them to find something that caters for their own specific needs. However there are a number of different 'generic' workouts that have been created that are great for beginners and people that just want to pick something up quickly and give it a go.

I will post up a number of different routines that we have in a folder in the gym. Very similar versions have also recently appeared in an iPhone app named iFitness (I'd imagine from the same source!).

If you dont know how to do any of the exercises mentioned then please just ask or use Google/Youtube, there are literally thousands of resources that can help you. Also, if someone doesnt like or feels uncomfortable doing any one of these exercises then feel free to ask and myself or someone else on the forum will be happy to give you an alternative move that works the same muscle group.

Last edited:
Workout #1 Beginners

This is a nice easy one for you beginners to get started with. Perform each exercise with the biggest weight that you can lift for 12 repetions. Perform 3 sets of these 12 repetitions. Try to do this workout 3 times per week and mix in 3 other days of cardio.

This one is sourced from fullfitness.net, if you need any more in depth info on how to do each exercise then it can all be found there!

Chest

Exercise #1 Decline Close Grip Chest Press

decline_close_grip_bench_press.jpg

Exercise #2 Dumbell Pullover

dumbbell_pull_over.jpg

Legs

Exercise #3 Machine Leg Press

machine_leg_press.jpg

Exercise #4 Machine Leg Extentions

machine_leg_extension.jpg

Exercise #5 Machine Leg Curl

machine_leg_curl.jpg

Back

Exercise #6 Lat Pulldowns

machine_lateral_pull_down.jpg

Exercise #7 Cable Seated Low Row

cable_seated_low_row.jpg

Shoulders

Exercise #8 Bar Military Press

bar_military_press.jpg

Arms

Exercise #9 SeatedTriceps Extension

seated_triceps_extension.jpg

Exercise #10 Dumbell Bicep Curls

dumbbell_biceps_curl.jpg

#2 Weight Loss Programme

Source: fullfitness.net

This workout program helps strip away the fat that (hopefully) is covering the built muscle underneath. There are few exercises meant to develop muscles such as the biceps and triceps that men love to shape - working out the bigger muscles helps burn the fat easier.

For this to work, you need to workout roughly 2-3 times a week and go through the following routine 2-3 times per workout. Start by doing 5 minutes of cardio to warmup, then go through each exercise in rapid succession. Do 5 more minutes of cardio, then go through the list again for the second or third time.

Exercise #1 Beginner Squat

beginner_squat.jpg

Exercise #2 Lateral Pull Downs

machine_lateral_pull_down.jpg

Exercise #3 Barbell Bench Press

barbell_bench_press.jpg

Exercise #4 Bulgarian Split Squat

bulgarian_split_squat.jpg

Exercise #5 One Arm Row

one_arm_row.jpg

Exercise #6 Ab Crunch On Ball

ab_crunch_on_a_ball.jpg

Exercise #7 Barbell Military Press (Can also be performed on Smiths Machine)

bar_military_press.jpg

NOTE: I've never tried this one before, so if you decide to give it a go then let me know how it is!

I tried to do seated freeweight military press but feel it puts too much stress on my back, smiths machine gives lot more stability

I tried to do seated freeweight military press but feel it puts too much stress on my back, smiths machine gives lot more stability

I know what you mean, it feels quite uncomfortable. If you want the benefit of using your core stability then I'd recommend doing it standing up in a squat cage.

More workouts getting posted up tonight.

#3 Abdominal Six-Pack Defining Workout

Source: FF

Since a stronger core supports your spine, you can lift more weight in every exercise. Research also shows that stronger abdominal core muscles mean fewer lower back injuries as you age, not to mention better posture. Finally, who can argue with the great look and feel of having ripped abs?

The following routine helps you accomplish just that. Prior to performing the listed exercises though, remember to warm up for 3-5 minutes, at a relatively easy pace. Follow this up with a minute of running or cycling at your highest pace and rest for another minute prior to starting the routine.

The following list attempts to attack your abdominal muscles from different directions to continuously stimulate them. With time, substitute new exercises in from the list this site provides to prevent your body from growing accustomed.

Exercise #1 Kneeling Cable Crunch

kneeling_cable_crunch.jpg

Exercise #2 Pulse Up

pulse_up.jpg

Exercise #3 Side Crunch

side_crunch.jpg

Exercise #4 Oblique V - Up

oblique_vup.jpg

Exercise #5 Back Raise

back_raise.jpg

Exercise #6 V-Up

v_up.jpg

Exercise #7 Inclined Reverse Crunch

inclined_reverse_crunch.jpg

Hi mate, have you got a training regime for bulking up? 3-4days a week.

Cheers,
Nick

Hi mate, have you got a training regime for bulking up? 3-4days a week.

Cheers,
Nick

Have a look at the post your current workout thread. I would link but can't find how to copy URL on phone.

Eating is the most important thing, clean eating. I've put lots of weight on this year with a clean diet (still drink though) but put fat on as well. I'll sort that out later as I'm pleased with gains.

Back