New to Sky & have a couple of Qs

Miles

Inactive User
Reaction score
After being with ntl for digtal tv for years, finally given them the finger and bought a second hand sky dish & box off ebay.

DIY installation was surprisingly easy (helped by the fact our neighbours have got a dish so I knew roughly where to point it), I just gradually edged it round until the signal strength meter on the box showed a reading.

The card that was included seems to give us all the channels we (i.e. my wife)wants - ITV, shopping channels, etc - any idea how long this will last for? And then I just need to buy a freesat viewing card for £20, right?

The ebay seller was from down south somewhere, so the ITV region is set to London. Is there any way to change this to Central (E mids)? I've seen BBC1 E Mids is up there at channel 900 and something.

So my wife was watching X Factor last night. Now on ntl, the "press red" thing appears when you first switch over, then soon disappears. However, on sky it seems to be there constantly throughout the programme. How do you get rid of it?

If you have a card included is it the dark blue with yellow house version? You will get all the free channels without a card except for Ch4, Ch5 and Sky3. You only need to get a new freesat card if that one you have is an old light blue version, but also if you want to change the region. You cannot change the region on the card you have so it will need a new one sent to your address. However, you can add the ITV region you want into the 'other channels' list if you need to, I'll have to post later on that if no-one beats me to it.
You can also get rid of the 'press red' automatically after a short while by 'services' > number 4 > number 1 (picture settings), then go down to 'onscreen icon timeout' and change to 'on'. Then save settings and it will auto remove the icon as soon as allowed. You can just manually remove at anytime you are watching tv by just pressing back-up button on the remote.

Regards

Yes it's the dark blue card and yes we can get Ch4 and 5.

Thanks for the information.

Back