New superhub being tested

Happy with my current Superhub which I had for 2 years and Tivo box which I had for just a year. So when virgin media rang me yesterday to renew my deal I was happy with the deal I got. Keep everything as it is (30mbit BB, M+ TV package, landline with weekend calls + 1 month free all for £25.99 p/m).

Out of interest for those who got 100mbit/120mbit do you actually get to use the full download/upload speed most of the time? I contemplated the idea of upgrading to 60mbit but the 30mbit at the moment seems to be more than enough for my needs. Also does anyone know if they double the 30mbit speed or is it only for higher speeds?

Yeah, but then I am running a private nzb indexer so download over 1TB a month now. Other advantage of XXXXXXL package is that cap limits are higher durning the day and when I do hit cap, my connection is still running at 30mb. Also the extra upload is nice.

I have vermin coming to replace my superhub with a superhub 2 next week, I'll post some before and after results, whilst I have no problem with maxing out the line at 120mbit, the latency is that of connecting to a server on the moon (even after tweaking mtu, firewall settings etc etc), my hope is that the superhub 2 fixes this.

ive had the superhub 2 for a few weeks now,speeds much better,more stable,wireless range is much improved,get your hands on one of these,got mine for £5.99 install,had the superhub 1,it was crap

Last edited:
OK so Vermin came and installed as they said, it is indeed better than the superhub1 when it comes to wifi speed and for the internal lan side of things it seems great (running 2 and 5ghz with 2 SSiD's works out great) BUT..... I'm still getting slow ping response time (not as bad as the superhub1 but enough not to justify anyone spending £50 to upgrade)..... finally why have they decided to disable the USB port (mine was actually covered over)?

Damm, I am hoping to wangle one of these and a TiVO box off them for just the price of postage. Still using one of the old separate modems / routers with my 120mb connection at the moment.

Well managed to get a superhub for free and free delivery as well. Should be here later today.

Well managed to get a superhub for free and free delivery as well. Should be here later today.

how did you manage to get one out of them, also let me know if the USB works as well please.

how did you manage to get one out of them, also let me know if the USB works as well please.

called them up, said I an e-mail from them tell me that needed to upgrade as I was using the old modem, actually this bit was true. There wasn't going to be change for the superhub as I was on the old modem, said they were going to charge £20 for delivery, said I had been with them a long time and wasn't willing to pay it. He said 'let me check the system' and then a minute later said fine they will waive delivery free as well.

USB port is disabled and the actual port is blanked off with some tape.

I'll try and post some picture of the device and menu tonight or tomorrow.

USB port is disabled and the actual port is blanked off with some tape.

I'll try and post some picture of the device and menu tonight or tomorrow.

I wonder if Virgin will enable the port if you ask them, would be great for storing all films so can get to them via any PC.

I wonder if Virgin will enable the port if you ask them, would be great for storing all films so can get to them via any PC.

I did read on their support forum I think that there is no plan it enable it for the foreseeable future. Shame really.

I'm hoping that they fix the lockout from the GUI :-| and impove the throughput on the WLAN.

Finished my re-cabling and plugged it in Saturday afternoon. After waiting 30 minutes or so to get activated I switched routing off my server to the router and also switched off my existing WAP.

Well it stayed up for about 2 hours, then started getting intermittent outages. Upon investigation the superhub was rebooting it self. In the end it wasn't even staying up for 5 minutes. Ended up calling vm and an engineer is booked for Wednesday.

Tried to switch back to my old modem, realised after an hour that isn't going to work. So eventually switched the superhub to modem mode and it been stable since then.

Also should note that while it working for that short period of time, I set the wireless to balance between range and speed. It was about on par with my TP-Link WAP.

I just got my new super hub but it looks nothing like the pictures I've seen? All the ports are on the side not the back it has no USB port which I know does not work anyway and it has a stand. I think they have sent me the first one they brought out

I just got my new super hub but it looks nothing like the pictures I've seen? All the ports are on the side not the back it has no USB port which I know does not work anyway and it has a stand. I think they have sent me the first one they brought out
I am having a super hub fitted on Friday, and I want it only in modem mode to connect to a Archer C7 AC1750 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router, which has 2.4 and 5Ghz along with 2 USB ports. The USB works on storage, but only certain printers will work of the other USB port, and mine does not.
The router was easy to set up with an old NTL 250 modem. It also as a wireless guest connection on 2.4 and 5HGz which is separate from your network.

Original superhub is VMDG480 and it says Superhub on the label.
New superhub is VMDG485 and it says Superhub 2 on the label.

I am having a super hub fitted on Friday, and I want it only in modem mode to connect to a Archer C7 AC1750 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router, which has 2.4 and 5Ghz along with 2 USB ports. The USB works on storage, but only certain printers will work of the other USB port, and mine does not.
The router was easy to set up with an old NTL 250 modem. It also as a wireless guest connection on 2.4 and 5HGz which is separate from your network.

I'm using the superhub 2 in modem only modem. Pretty easy to set up, you just have to make sure your router is plugging into the bottom ethernet port of the superhub, its actually labeled as such. You can then access the router admin page via 192.168.100.1 (your PC does not have to be on that subnet range).

Original superhub is VMDG480 and it says Superhub on the label.
New superhub is VMDG485 and it says Superhub 2 on the label.

Yea I got a VMDG480 with just super hub on the lable

just had a email from virgin asking me to ring them as I have not activated my new virgin media self install kit guess what I am going to tell them.

Just rang the number and it was automated tried to activate my new modem so I hung up

Last edited:
New one only available for those on 60MB. £79.99 for those on 30MB with free postage. or £20 postage for free.

They won't accept 70 days notice of termination., it has to be exactly 30 days.

Back