New pc rebooting?

clive58

Inactive User
Reaction score
I've made my boy a simple PC but when it boots-up it gets past the bios then you see the first windows xp screen for a second then it re-boots to the bios again! ?
Beeps once when starting to load the bios again.
Does the same thing in safe mode and every other mode You try.
using onboard graphics card and a 2.8 P4 chip(ebay) + new ASRock motherboard with 1/2 gig of ram and a 650w psu (like i said a simple pc lol)

Any ideas please?

Clive.

I've made my boy a simple PC but when it boots-up it gets past the bios then you see the first windows xp screen for a second then it re-boots to the bios again! ?
Beeps once when starting to load the bios again.
Does the same thing in safe mode and every other mode You try.
using onboard graphics card and a 2.8 P4 chip(ebay) + new ASRock motherboard with 1/2 gig of ram and a 650w psu (like i said a simple pc lol)

Any ideas please?

Clive.
Found this Clive it may help

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/244911-13-computer-beeps-restarts-endless-loop

Does it stay on without reset if you enter bios screens? Does the processor show correctly in the bios? Did you loaded windows without any probs and its just started after the fresh install?

@ IANB, I'll test the power switch later tonight, thanks for that.

@ pinky:
Does it stay on without reset if you enter bios screens?

Yes

Does the processor show correctly in the bios?

Yes

Did you loaded windows without any probs and its just started after the fresh install?

Its running off an already working HD from it before, basically I replaced an
ASRock P4V88 board because I thought it had blown for an
ASRock P4i65G board.
They are very similar apart from the 1st board had an AGP graphics card on it and the second board has onboard graphics.

The HD was working fine on the 1st board so I assumed it should atleast work in safe mode on the second replacement board untill I installed the drivers but it only boots for 1 second onto the 1st xp screen then loops back to request which boot method I want to use ie safe etc.

Thanks for your time on this chaps ;)

Clive.

Last edited:
@ IANB, I'll test the power switch later tonight, thanks for that.

@ pinky:
Does it stay on without reset if you enter bios screens?

Yes

Does the processor show correctly in the bios?

Yes

Did you loaded windows without any probs and its just started after the fresh install?

Its running off an already working HD from it before, basically I replaced an
ASRock P4V88 board because I thought it had blown for an
ASRock P4i65G board.
They are very similar apart from the 1st board had an AGP graphics card on it and the second board has onboard graphics.

The HD was working fine on the 1st board so I assumed it should atleast work in safe mode on the second replacement board untill I installed the drivers but it only boots for 1 second onto the 1st xp screen then loops back to request which boot method I want to use ie safe etc.

Thanks for your time on this chaps ;)

Clive.

The good news is I don't think its an hardware error. If it stays on in the BIOS then I don't think it is the power switch. CPU overheating maybe but unlikely.

Bad news is that most likely you will have to reinstall Windows. You are going from a VIA Pt880 chipset to an Intel 865G. Though the CPU is the same the chances are the system drivers or HAL is different.

You could try booting off an XP installation CD and running a repair but most likely a format and reinstall will be required.

As above, definitely the most likely cause.

Unless hardware is very similar you hadly ever get away it.

Try running a repair off the XP CD, that may work, otherwise it'll be a completely fresh install I'm afraid...

M$ Repair guide here

I had the same problem once when building a new PC, i found it to be the intnal USB connectors causing the problem, if you have USBs connected inside, try removing them then reboot, it worked for me

As already posted (a few times) it will be an incompatability with MB drivers, try a repair but I suspect this might result in a BSOD so a full install will be required.

Messa

Back