New Optical Drive??

Erazor786

Inactive User
Reaction score
My Pioneer 109 has finally kicked the bucket and it's time to buy a new DVD drive.

What is the best company to look for? Are Pioneers still running the show or are most of the drives out, all good??

Seen some from LG that look decent.

Any input appreciated.

Cheers

Edit: Forgot to mention which ones I'm looking at.

Looking at this LG one - http://www.ebuyer.com/product/151999

Pioneer one - http://www.ebuyer.com/product/149321

Last edited:
used lg no probs 4167b and the newer 1 h55 n done everything i asked of em,think its a personal choice m8 hard to recommend but i'd buy lg again no worries

Pioneer or Nec are both good IMO. Not so keen on LG, if I were you i'd get the Pioneer, better the devil you know and all that ;-)

Problem is as said there are so many out there to choose from as has been said. The only thing you need to consider now is dual layer and blueray. Never used Pioneer drives but NEC and LG are godd product.

Thanks for all the replies people.

I've always used Pioneers drives - had the one LG drive, If I remember and had no problems with it whatsoever.

I think I'll see which one is the cheapest and shop around a bit, though I am leaning towards the Pioneer.

Thanks again people.:Cheers:

My rule of thumb would be to get something that's Japanese and avoid Korean. Pioneer or NEC would be good. Unfortunately Plextor manufactures crap now, so I'd avoid that as well.

My rule of thumb would be to get something that's Japanese and avoid Korean. Pioneer or NEC would be good. Unfortunately Plextor manufactures crap now, so I'd avoid that as well.

Hmmmm.... So no Samsungs then? lol.

Stick with Pioneer for writers mate. Get the 216 or something like that.

The pioneer DVR 117/217 has just come out (not sure about the UK yet)

Higher speeds and label flash, so you may want to hold out for one of those.

Pioneer all the way... i have had a pioneer dvr 111d for well over 2 years now, and it still burns as good as it did on day one!

Back