New Home, No Terrestrial... Need help!

ruddyrum

Inactive User
Reaction score
So just moved into a new home, luckily completed before all house purchases were put on hold, and have discovered that the TV outlets in the rooms do not work. I did some investigating and found the following:

12 coax cables in the loft (only 5 TV sockets across the house - is there any scenario where 2 coax cables are used to feed one outlet?)
There is no visible antenna on the property, nor are there any on neighboring properties. Speaking to neighbors, the do seem to have normal freeview.
The cables aren't plugged into anything, so assume there was previously a booster/splitter here?

I took a TV up with me and plugged each of these cables in one at a time and tuned the TV. One cable was able to tune some channels but only a limited amount, so assume this is the UHF cable? and another tuned DAB stations on the TV so guess this is VHF. I bought this SLX booster but it seems to have made little difference. I'd like to get this working as I will go mental during the lockdown without TV.

This next question may belong in the sat forum but I do have the option of installing an old dish and sky box - but If I hooked up a sky box, could I use the booster I bought to split the output from the sky box and distribute it throughout the house? Sort of like the magic eye ?

Any help or further trouble shooting is much appreciated.

Do your neighbours have visible aerials? You can search your postcode to see where the nearest transmitter/repeater is, if it's close-by you might get away with a loft aerial, through your SLX, to feed all your sockets.
If you have to go down the satellite route, then yes, assuming your Sky digibox is of the older variety (with an RF2 output) your SLX will distribute the output - but you'll have to watch the same channel in the other rooms and you'll only be able to change channel from the same room the Digibox is in.

Yes, it is normal to have two wires to the TV sockets. You can open them and and check they have two. I suspect the you have 10 wires going to your rooms. The aerail is being daisy chained around the houses. One wire will come into your house from neighbour on left, and one will go to neighbour on right.

You are better off identifying and labelling the cables first.

You cannot share satellite signal using a splitter. Once the receiver decodes it, you can pipe it (RF output) around the house.

I'm wondering if there some sort of loft masthead amplifier that was in the loft, of which the old occupants had took, or taken the power supply?
As for the digibox, you can but the newer HD and Q boxes lack the RF output, which you will need an adapter

Or he's missus has had a baby and is pregnant again

Back