New HD Channels

ooooozzzing

Member +
Reaction score
Hi all

Does any one know if freesat are going to start broadcasting channel 4 or 5 hd channels.

We could do with a couple of more dont you think.

chaz

could deffo do with some more HD on Freesat there have been a couple of new sd channels added recently :)

I still update the sticky in here :)

Just seen this

Five HD today launched on both the Sky and Virgin Media platforms; unfortunately though Freesat isn’t expected to gain this channel any time soon.

Many, including Five themselves will tell you that the reason for the lack of Five HD (as well as Fiver and Five US) is because of space available on the narrow Astra2D beam required to broadcast in the clear as a UK broadcaster.

In reality, the reason is that Sky pay Five a nice sum of money to remain encrypted, ensuring they are the only satellite based platform with these channels. Until a time when Freesat has a sufficient number of viewers (so advertising revenue accounts for more), or Ofcom some how force Five into broadening their access, it looks like we’ll be without.

all it would take is a bit of transponder swapping as s*y have 3 txp,s on 2d that could be used for free-to-air uk based channels. there seems to be a hell of a lot of sleazy shite on eurobird 1 that is just a waste of bandwidth and that could be used. ofcom should force s*y to relinquish their astra 2d transponders to the freesat consortium but i cant see it happening anytime soon. regards mdt

You would have thought they would broadcast channel 4 at least, it has been HD for a while now.

In my opinion any channel that is deemed free / free to air sky should not be paying them to keep it encrypted ie channel 5 and 4 HD, it is totally unfair.

Thanks for your input guys

You would have thought they would broadcast channel 4 at least, it has been HD for a while now.

In my opinion any channel that is deemed free / free to air sky should not be paying them to keep it encrypted ie channel 5 and 4 HD, it is totally unfair.

Thanks for your input guys

yea its s*k m8 they want to own the world !! lets hope it doent all go wrong 4 them ..(NOT)

ITV's decision last week to encrypt HD versions of ITV3 and ITV4 is not good news. I agree Channel's 4 and 5 should be FTA in HD and just hope that HD isn't going to be used as a further means to increase Sly's customer base. I dont know if there are any obligations on the broadcasters to transmit HD FTA.

Sky are paying channel 5 to encrypt. Unless ofcom steps in then hold your breath on any further HD channels on freesat at the moment.

Sky are paying channel 5 to encrypt. Unless ofcom steps in then hold your breath on any further HD channels on freesat at the moment.

Unfortunately that does appear to be the case. Looks like Sky are using HD as another means to increase their customer base.

Yes its a closed case now. Certainly HD versions of ITV2,3,4 & ch4,E4,More4 & Ch5,Fiver,FiveUS are all signed by Sky, so I wouldn't expect any HD additions to freesat anytime in the near future.

bbc1 hd simucast is coming to freesat when launched in the next couple of months

edit : it will launch in november

Last edited:
wot the hell do we pay TV Licence for makes me so mad
some countrys get shitloads hd stuff on there freeview etc

Back