New Freeview slot up for grabs

Zooropa

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Bidding has begun for a new channel slot on Freeview, according to a report in Broadcast this week.

National Grid Wireless (formerly Crown Castle) has squeezed out the slot on Multiplex D using the same compression technologies that created new spaces for ITV and Channel 4 earlier this year.

The eighteen hour space, running from 6am to midnight, will become available on December 1 and has a minimum asking price of £5.5 million per annum.

Interested parties had until Tuesday (November 1) to submit initial bids; those thought to have done so include Flextech, Viacom, Five, ITV, Channel 4 and Disney.

The magazine added that another slot could become available on multiplex C next year.

id love to setup my own tv channel especially on freeview

Aye i got the 50 mill here shall i buy it now? steam me webcam lol :D would make intersteig viewing pmpl like if i brought a bird back haha :D

I hope its going to be another 'good' channel and not more shopping/quiz crap. Sky3, E4, More4 and BBC3 are all making freeview a very good thing indeed. A Freeview movie channel would be cool, tho I can see Ch4 getting it for Januarys Celebrity Big Brother live feed.

I think it will become another channel used by channel 4 for its shows but im hoping im wrong with this prediction

Only channel 4 and Five are still in the runningfor the slot i think myself channel 4 will get the slot Itv pulled out at the last moment i read Five plan to make a ITV2 type channel.

channel 5 have been granted broadcast licence for Five.2 so they need the slot more than ch4 do, they are desperate for it to keep up with their rivals.

I find it very amazing (and somewhat odd) that we are being led to believe that "five" are bidding huge amounts of money for a slot when in fact they actually are intitled to (I think) half of mux A. One would think that it would be more economical (for five) to terminate one of Top-Up's slots and pay compo.
I just wish that national grid actually looks at the type of channel that is actually needed on the platform, and not just accept the highest bid.
As this is freeview space (for the time being!) then I think that either a sport channel or a movie channel is needed. I would opt for the movies (remember that dtt is expanding into lots of homes of families of all ages, so a good mixture of programming is required)

I will be quite interested in seeing the result from this latest bid round and the views of different people when the channel starts broadcasting.

Would you Adam and Eve it,I have since found out after my last post that Five have only just brought a stake in Top-Up TV!!

tats123 said:
Would you Adam and Eve it,I have since found out after my last post that Five have only just brought a stake in Top-Up TV!!

That would also make it easier and cheaper for them to close it giving them 4/5 channels worth £40 million plus

Thay are saying 4 have won the slot and its going to be used for more4+1 in the short term so likely until big brother starts?

Back