New 3.1 - 4.1 Softmod for any Wii

Taken from elsewhere, was posted here but thread no longer available

This guide will fully modify your Wii to safely play backup games, it works on all wiis up to 4.1 regardless of serial number/region etc this includes boot2 v4 Wiis aka 'LU64-65' models, If you bought your Wii this year and it came with 3.4+ on it then it will be a boot2 v4.

When completed you will have everything you need to play backups and the SD card does not have to be left in, you can delete everything off it if you wish.

Make sure you do the steps in the right order or you could run into problems, and read the guide through a couple of times before trying it. Read ALL OF IT! Most problems arise from people not reading the instructions properly or not using a compatible SD card, a plain 2gb one is best. If you are buying a new one try and get a Sandisk.

All you need is an SD card formatted to FAT32, an internet connection on your Wii and these files: MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service or here

Free File Hosting Made Simple - MediaFire

updated with links from dogtoffee

Before you start make sure Wiiconnect 24 is off as it can stop bannerbomb working, you may turn it back on once you have completed the guide.

If you get errors during any of the steps format your card with this tool.

TAKE OUT ALL GAMECUBE MEMORY CARDS/CONTROLLERS

1. INSTALL BOOTMII AND THE HOMEBREW CHANNEL

a). Put all the files from ‘copy to sd card.rar’ onto the root of the SD Card. It should look like this when done.

b). Insert the SD card into Wii.

c). Go to Wii Options, then go to Data Management > Channels > SD Card, then you will get a message saying "Load boot.elf?" , select 'Yes' and the Hackmii installer will run.

d). Install Bootmii as boot2 if you can, if not then install it as an IOS then go back and install the Homebrew Channel.

If you are connected to the Internet the Homebrew Channel will ask to update - say no until you have completed this guide, then the choice is yours...

2. BACK UP YOUR NAND

Making a NAND backup with Bootmii is a must, it will recover your Wii from 99.9% of bricks.
Use the same SD card you used to install Bootmii and make sure there is at least 530mb free on it.
Bootmii is very fussy about what SD cards it uses, so avoid generic ones and try and use a Sandisk or similar.

a) Put the SD card into the Wii, if you installed Bootmii as boot2 then it will load, if it is installed as an IOS go to the Homebrew Channel, press 'home' on your wiimote and select 'Launch Bootmii'.

b) Use the power/reset/eject buttons to navigate the Bootmii menu and select the icon with the gears on it. If those buttons don't work then you will have to use a Gamecube controller.

c) Now select the icon with a green arrow pointing from the chip to the SD card and follow the on screen instructions.

D) In about 10 mins you will have a NAND backup, it is normal to have up to 80 bad blocks so don't worry if you get some.

e) Put the SD card into PC and copy the NAND backup somewhere safe, you can now delete it from your card. If you installed Bootmii as boot2 then also copy the Bootmii folder to your PC and either delete or rename it, otherwise it will load every time you switch your Wii on.

If ever you get bricked then copy the bootmii folder and NAND backup onto your card, do steps a) & b) again, using Priiloader to get to HBC if necessary, then select the icon with the arrow going from the SD card to the chip.

3. GET A CIOS

a) Go to Homebrew channel and run Trucha Bug Restorer, load IOS36, press 1, read the warnings then select 'downgrade IOS15', select to load IOS from SD card then let it do its job, keep an eye on what it is doing and make sure you select 'load from sd card' when it asks & don't get any errors.

b) Run Trucha Bug Restorer again, this time select to load IOS15 on first screen using dpad left/right, then select the IOS36 menu & install patched (select 'yes' on all 3 patches) IOS36 to slot 36, again using IOS from SD card.

c) Run Trucha Bug Restorer again, load IOS36 and this time select restore IOS15.

d) Run cIOS38 r14 installer, select IOS36 as the one it should use and then select wad install.

4. UPDATE YOUR SYSTEM MENU VERSION (OPTIONAL)

This step is optional unless you are on 3.3 or 3.4, you may upgrade now if you wish, boot2 v4 owners cannot downgrade! but can upgrade if you want. If you want to update to 4.1 then make sure you have at least 250 blocks free or you will brick, install IOS60-patched first (step 5a), then run Firmware Updater 4.1. If you are on 3.3 or 3.4 then you must update now - DO NOT install priiloader until you have updated as it will cause untold problems!.

5. THE FINAL STEP

Priiloader is also an optional install, if you don't want it just skip b & c, but you must do step d, system menu hacks can be taken care of by Starfall (3.2) or startpatch (4/4.1), if you want them click my sig and have a look through my mediafire. There are no system hacks for 3.3/3.4.

a) If you are on system menu 4/4.1 use Wad Manager with default settings (IOS249 & SD card) to install IOS60-patched.wad - make sure you do this before you install Priiloader. If you installed it in step 4 then skip this part. Never uninstall IOS60! You will brick!!

b). Open the Homebrew Channel and load Priiloader, press + to install. After install, your Wii should reboot and load the Priiloader menu. If it doesn't, turn your wii off and on again whilst holding down reset and it will load the Priiloader menu.

c) Select 'system menu hacks' in the Priiloader menu, and enable the hacks that you want - 'skip disc update check' and the region free ones are all you need. Select 'save settings' and wait for confirmation message to display 'settings saved'. Press B to go back, and enter Settings. Set 'Autoboot: System Menu' using D-Pad, then select save settings. Press B to return to main Priiloader menu.

d) In the Priiloader menu select Homebrew Channel (if you didn't install Priiloader then just open HBC as normal), run Wad Manager 1.4, use default settings (IOS249 & SD card) and install these wads from the 'wad' folder:

IOS38-64-v3610
IOS50-64-v4889
IOS53-64-v5149
IOS55-64-v5149
NeoGamma r8b7

Then restart your Wii.
hi to all thanks for this but i am having problems with the last one ,i get the priiloader loaded but i cant get the wad manager to work .when i load it from hbc it load but i cant find (ios249) so i dont know what to do can you help me please andyone who know what to do ?so i cannt install isos at all what to do please help

hi to all thanks for this but i am having problems with the last one ,i get the priiloader loaded but i cant get the wad manager to work .when i load it from hbc it load but i cant find (ios249) so i dont know what to do can you help me please andyone who know what to do ?so i cannt install isos at all what to do please help

Just do part (D) priiloader can be installed after. ios249 will be there if you followed the tut correctly.

What system menu you on?

done all the way upto here, now in priiloader for this bit : d) In the Priiloader menu select Homebrew Channel (if you didn't install Priiloader then just open HBC as normal), run Wad Manager 1.4, use default settings (IOS249 & SD card) and install these wads from the 'wad' folder:

IOS38-64-v3610
IOS50-64-v4889
IOS53-64-v5149
IOS55-64-v5149
NeoGamma r8b7

i do not have ios249, the closest i have to this is ios254,

what to do now?

my system is 4.1e

You are fab, thanks so much, I think I will be using this site much more and will put appropriate pennies to help fund the site

I want to use this hack but have the old zelda hack in place so should I reset the wii before following this guide?

just in the process of doin a 3.2e,
an im stuck at the very beginning already lol ,
d): install bootmii as boot2 if you can, if not then install as an IOS then go back and install the hombrew channel

when im trying to install bootmii as boot2 or even an IOS my wii just freezes on the black screen saying:

mounting SD card...
creating directory '/bootmii'...

any1 got any ideas??

hi, modded a wii with this tut and updated to 4.1e, everything is ok, when i load a copied disc (mario kart) go to negamer, the screen comes up with the mario screen. when i press start to play the game , the screen goes black with the message disc error and to shutdown. does anyone have any ideas what has gone wrong and what i need to do to rectify. first wii mod i have tried so i am at your mercy. thanks.

hi, modded a wii with this tut and updated to 4.1e, everything is ok, when i load a copied disc (mario kart) go to negamer, the screen comes up with the mario screen. when i press start to play the game , the screen goes black with the message disc error and to shutdown. does anyone have any ideas what has gone wrong and what i need to do to rectify. first wii mod i have tried so i am at your mercy. thanks.

are any other games working ?

original games work fine. the copied disc i have tried on another console, so the disc is not an issue. i was thinking of reinstlling the software from the beginning. would that be ok to do?

original games work fine. the copied disc i have tried on another console, so the disc is not an issue. i was thinking of reinstlling the software from the beginning. would that be ok to do?

how old is the Wii, newer wiis can not read dvdr that why I asked do other backups work.

you could install a usb loader and try that

the wii's over 2 years old. i did do a backup of the nand. when dvd is loaded th screen comes up with the game screen showing the game , its only when you press the start button to play the game , thats when it goes to the black screen and disc error.

the wii's over 2 years old. i did do a backup of the nand. when dvd is loaded th screen comes up with the game screen showing the game , its only when you press the start button to play the game , thats when it goes to the black screen and disc error.

If you install DARKCORP it should sort it

hi just had a wii its not new the bloke softmoded it before but cleaned the sdcard cause coulnt play dvd or somethin
how do i know wot vert mine is guys

..worked first time. thanks fir your help.

Nice one m8 glad your sorted

hi just had a wii its not new the bloke softmoded it before but cleaned the sdcard cause coulnt play dvd or somethin
how do i know wot vert mine is guys

go to wii setting its at the top r/h corner

wiiat32.jpg

hi.
i have a 3.4e version wii i've got to the part were i have to update my wii to 4.1 but when downloading the update it gets to installing system menu 4.1e and i get an error(ret = - 1036) ,i noticed something about installing iso60 patched.wad but not sure if that was just people with 4.1 or for me but when i looked couldnt find it anyway in wad manager.

any help would be fantastic

Hi im on 4.1e and did a nad back and so on doing the trucha bug restorer on first step but getting error what do i do i follow the steps as stated and help pls.

Back