Networking two pc's

Aku-Aku

Inactive User
Reaction score
I would like to connect two pc's but am unsure what i need to buy and dont want to waste money on the wrong stuff.I have an old PACKARD BELL {windows 98/10GB HD/etc} and want to connect it to my newwer pc ADVENT {Win XP/120 GB HD/Geforce 4 etc}.

Do i need to buy 2 network cards {one 4 each} or just one?
Will any network card do the job? can anyone recommmend one?
Then i pressume i just need a cable?

Any help would be appreciated :)

Hi m8,
I'm not an expert by any stretch of the imagination when it comes to networking but I had something similar before I went wireless.
You'll need a network card for each of your 2 pc's and a network crossover cable. The "crossover" bit is important if your connecting 2 pc's together. They're cheap on fleabay or at pc fairs, about £4 for a 20m one.
There was a similar thread about networking a 98 machine with an XP machine recently. Worth a search.

Thanks for the reply m8...Ive fitted a tv card before so hopefully putting these network cards in will be just as easy
:Cheers:

Yip you need 2 network cards for each pc if none are already present.

a little hub and ethernet cables:)

you are better with a hub, as somtimes a x-over cable can cause data xfer issues:)

Thanks guys..Now i understand it a bit more now.
I only needed to fit a network card to the old comp.
I bought a Broadband xDSL / Cable router and run both pc's from that.

I only had my second PC {pentium 2!! how old!!} online for about 15mins when i picked up a virus {Trojan smitfraud }
I get a blue error screen everytime i start the comp and am unable to erase the virus but at least i got the networking sorted lol

Thanks anyway :)

Last edited:
Thats a seriously nasty trojan m8.
I think the removal process is VERY involved.
Might be worth reformatting instead.. although by now you're probably welll down that road.

ps. I like the signature.. pmsl..!

The pc that got infected was an old one from work

Last edited:
Anubis said:
I only had my second PC {pentium 2!! how old!!}

I'm networked to my old Celeron 400 PC!!
Still going strong providing the Cbeebies website. : multi :

my 2nd pc is a via 600, used to store my music on. its anchient and the case is falling appart, its still hanging on just ..

Back