networking a usb printer

steve2493

DW Member +
Reaction score
hi all

i'm trying to get my pc an laptop to see my printer, its connected via usb to my sitecom wl-176 router which

has two usb ports, i have enabled the printer server in my routers setup page.

in windows i type in \\storage\printer were in say's connect to this printer , but it doesn't connect

ive allso click on browser for printer, it see's my router as storage1, but still will not connect

any ideas
cheers

you still need to install it on one of the machines mate, then go to share it and then try all that again.

ok so now share it on the network and when you go to the other lap top go and install network printer and then it should appear if you do a search

it still won't connect,
i pluged it back in to my pc then added it to my laptop via the network an works fine.
pluged it back into my router an both pc an lap will not connect.

are you saying that your plugging the printer into the router direct?

This as far as i'm aware won't work in your situation., you will have to have it connected to the pc or the lap top as one act's like a print server......

i might be wrong like but i'm thinking of all the printers that i've set up and they are all running on a network, how ever they have been installed and the main server is running all the time.

mmmm you got me thinking now......

A few things to check and try.

make sure "Enable print from the internet" is unchecked
Disable IPP.
Enable LPR.
change port 1 to printer (I assume u have already done this)
then try to connect

A few things to check and try.

make sure "Enable print from the internet" is unchecked
Disable IPP.
Enable LPR.
change port 1 to printer (I assume u have already done this)
then try to connect

i have all them setting correct a part from "change port 1 to printer", i can't find any setting's stating that?

thanks for taking the time to have a look!

that is the page i have on my router and it does have the lastest firmware, it doesn't say" change port1 to printer".

i'm beginning to think the usb ports are faulty, an i can't find my flash drive to check!

thanks again

thanks for taking the time to have a look!

that is the page i have on my router and it does have the lastest firmware, it doesn't say" change port1 to printer".

i'm beginning to think the usb ports are faulty, an i can't find my flash drive to check!

thanks again

Sorry prob not explain myself correctly it the Port 1 name u need to change

all ready tried changing the name, i also just tried my nas server(which also has usb ) in the router and that worked fine.

o well i give up!

thanks any way guy's

i share a printer on my wireless network between 3 pc and a lappy

all i did was buy 1 of those belkin print servers which has a ethernet cable to plug in ur router

and u can share 15 usb devices

u have to install print server software and printer software on all machines

i have mine setup were each time u want to print it connects prints then disconnects, that way my othe pc can use it too.

Lets start with the basics here,

Have you assigned an IP address to the printer.
Can you ping the IP address that you have assigned the printer.

Assuming you can do both of these then we move over to the PC. There are two options,
1. Setup the printer queue on one PC and share it out. This will mean that you will need to enable file/print sharing on that PC and also it will have to be on whenever you print from another PC. You then point your other PC to the queue on the one you installed on.

2. Install a print queue on each PC. Takes longer as you need to setup each PC but ultimately the method I recommend.

Either way, to setup the queue. Varies slightly depending on which O/S you are using there is going to be a slight difference in the screens but the basics are ths same.

First install the driver, depending on the printer, you might need to have it attached via USB at this point if the installed is one of these Autodetecting installs.

Once you have created the queue, put the printer on the print server. On the PC, right click the queue you have created and select properties.

Select Ports from the properties window.
Go to the bottom of the window and select 'Add Port'
Select 'Standard TCP/IP Port' as the port type and select 'New Port'
This should take you to a Wizard (definately in Vista and I think in XP as well)
Enter the IP address that you have allocated
The name field should not matter, however on some print servers that can manage more then one printer you have to specific which connection on the print server to use. Check the manual of the print server.
Windows will try and check the port exists and that should be it.

Back