network ip address failing

geoffthechef

DW Member +
Reaction score
im trying to network four computers together and it works but on one of the network connections on one computer only the network card says trying to obtain ip address then after a few minutes it fails and then a sign says your network card has limited or no connectivity reason failed to get ip address.... can anyone help... op systems all xp pro wired networked using ethernet hub regards geoff

Things to check would be correct ip addy's in lign with other pc's eg 192.168.0.1/2/3/4 etc, they are all set to obtain ip addy automatically for starters ...

i have set them to obtain automatically so do i do it manually and is it 192.168.0.1

Sorry my, first post a little confusing...it's best to have all pc's set to obtain the ip addy automatically, sometimes however this wont work for one reason or another so u have to set them manually using 192.168.0.1 on first machine 192.168.0.2 etc on other machines...

Are you sharing broadband as well by any chance m8 across this network ???

thanks for that... no connection sharing just fie and printer its in a office regards geoff

Just to mention, there are a couple of sharing articles in the forums:

[DLMURL]http://www.world-of-digital.com/forums/article.php?c=8[/DLMURL]

Also to note based on your problem, make sure of the following:

• the IP address is correctly set. If you are using 4 computers, then they are not being duplicated on any of the computers. Best to use the 192.168.0.n and then increment each for each individual pc)
  • and make sure the subnet mask is same for all cards (should be 255.255.255.0 )
  • Just check the workgroup name of the pc that you are having trouble with. Is it set correctly as the rest of the workstations you have.

:Cheers:

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks all i have just got back and when i got there and switched the problem computer on it got the ip address on its own so i had no problem but the links for all the three i networked yesterdday never worked <strange?> so i just reset the network connections and refound them thanks for all for the advice hope it helps someone else regards geoff

Back