netgear router

leahyt8

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hi,
i was trying to set up my mates internet for his new laptop, (with VMedia)
so far he had it working fine with the lan plugged into the computer

he was previously with sly and kept their netgear router,
i set it all up and can get the router talking to the laptop no problem - full signal, but the wee tick on the netgear is not lit and i can't get connected to the internet,
it's saying an ip address needs to be assigned.

i'm now wondering if a sky router work with vm??

i've tried all the usual reset's of modem's and router etc but still nothing!!!
any help will be great!!

no m8 a sky router wont work with \/irginmedia, run the setup wizard on the router making sure you turn on wireless side of things.

Sounds like you are trying to connect a ADSL router to cable connection. Unless you want to use it purely as a switch/WAP, its not going to work, you need a cable router.

Is it a cable network connection or an ordinary broadband connection over a BT line with vm as your ISP?

Sorry Napster m8 but the sly netgear can be used, provided its a braodband and not cable connection, and all that is required is an update of the routers firmware, which can be downloaded. Done it many times for those that did'nt know how to do it. In fact my router is an x sly that I updated and am using right nowon this link, not a sly needless 2 say.

Then on the IP front you just need to log into the router by typing http://192.168.0.1 into your searh bar in internet explorer. Once there log into the router, User name is normally admin and Password is normally password, and then enter the detail provided by your ISP in the Basic Settings, Login and Password for your ISP conjnection.

It should also be noted that your Lan card should have an ISP in the same branch - 192.168.0.*** where *** can be anything from 2 to 255 but never 1.

Any problems or help you need then let us now.

Last edited:
hi,
it will be a ASDL router!! nightmare
running on ****** cable broadband so it looks like i'm screwed thanks for the info.
he'l just av to ring ****** and get a router cheers

Don't bother getting a router of VM. You can pick up to wireless cable router for under £20 elsewhere.

Sounds like you are trying to connect a ADSL router to cable connection. Unless you want to use it purely as a switch/WAP, its not going to work, you need a cable router.

Exactly what I thought too.

An ADSL router will not work on cable. With Sky being ADSL and ****** being cable.

Back