NetBoot Works But Dosn't Upload the VXworks File

stickybuds

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi, I have 2 SB4100's and am having problems with 1 of them.

On the 1 i am having trouble with i cannot get netboot to upload the file so i can use the hack page and change firmware.

I start netboot and i get this :

Sending reset request...ok
Waiting for CM to boot...ok
Retrieving CM MAC address...ok (*********)
Sending NetBoot request...ok
Adding 192.168.100.10 IP to adapter...ok (already assigned)
Starting FTP server...ok (already started)

And it stops there, nothing more happens....

On the 1 that is working ok i get this :

Sending reset request...ok
Waiting for CM to boot...ok
Retrieving CM MAC address...ok (*********)
Sending NetBoot request...ok
Adding 192.168.100.10 IP to adapter...ok (already assigned)
Starting FTP server...ok (already started)
New FTP client.
New FTP user (jmcqueen, rickey7)...accepted
FTP file request (/opt/vwMIPS_1_0_1_fcs/target/config/sb4100/vxWorks.st)...ok
FTP client disconnected.

Why is it that one will download the VXworks file from Netboot and 1 wont?

Is there anyway i can fix this as its me mates and he's been waiting about 3 weeks for it to be delivered from america... He bought it from ebay.

Thanks for any help.

Last edited:
Hey

Have you disabled all of your firewalls? It's just this is the same problem I was having; would not start the FTP server and the modem would just sit there till it reset back to defaults!

However this doesn't make sense that one works yet the other doesn't!!

Hope this may be a starting point!

:)

I'm still waiting for a sb4*** so got no hands on expearence.
There was another guy on here who had the same problem.
I think there are surfboard with the frimware locked? and you need to use a max233 or a blackcat to get the software on it?

I did a sb4200 a few days ago the sending of the file is a bit flaky just keep on hitting that button and eventually it should send the file correctly.

NetBoot Works But Dosn't Upload the VXworks File pls help me

some of the later firmwares have netbooting disabled, you will need a max 232/3 to change it.

Thanks guys, i went to maplin and made a 232 (worked first time...lol) uploaded vxworks with no probem got it changed to PAL... But now i have copied the mac from the 1 i have that works and is running 10 meg but it gets as far as :

Acquire Downstream Channel ........................... Done
Obtain Upstream Parameters

But it wont get the upstream perameters? It is definatly on PAL now so how come it wont get the U/S even with mac i was using with no problem on the other surfboard? (both are not connected with same mac on stream at same time so there not conflicting)

Hope some one can help cos iv been at it all day. LoL

strange, have u got any other macs u can try, i have had macs work on one modem and not another, what firmware you running? u said u had to change to PAL?

Hi where is there a tut for how you use the max on a sb4*** and if you've seen the inside of a sb5100 is it similar as i'l probably use me balckcat to put sh*te on it.
Ta
Oh yeah i probably got a pic of a sb5100
Yeah these are the two sets of holes where you solder a ten pin header to plug your blackcat into.
Does it look like the 4000'd

Last edited:
I'v tried some macs from my own gateway and they wont go online now even for the usual few seconds before it disconnects...

I am running hackware but have tried fiberwire and i get the same results?

I had to change this modem to PAL because it was sent from the USA, it was on north america standerd when i got it, I used Fiberwire to change it to PAL.

Really confused here so any help would be great... Thanks

I'd still say try more macs from other gateways, you have the modem set up ok, have u tried changing upstream channels? did u manually enter the downstream freq?

Sorry i fixed my problem and forgot to say what fixed it...

I was using a 4 way splitter but when i changed it to a 2 way splitter it worked fine, i'm guessing that the tuner in 1 modem is stronger than in the other. anyway all fixed now, it was just the splitter.

Back