need your help peeps

berley

Inactive User
Reaction score
ive posted this a few places as i really do want all the help i can get :)

First off, thanks T,bone for suggesting this post.

And thanks to Tinkertiler for a post already made and the replies of encouragement on it.

Right here goes – I quit smoking on the 18th of june, im well aware im not the first and wont be the last person to do it.

But I’d really value any ex smokers tips on how or what helped them keep their quit, I know any addiction requires real will power and this is really testing me to the limit.

I don’t find it easy even with the help of the tablets im on but on a more positive note, in my opinion the tabs work better for me than the patches ever did, I guess the best place I could have put the patches was over my gob so that I quite literally couldn’t have smoked.

Ive already had the “I’ll give u summit to suck” if you feel like it from the hubby, so please – no wise crack replies, im also already getting a lot of offline and online support but you can never get enough when your fighting an addiction so I really would value any help you peeps can offer.

Btw I’m quitting with the help of this tablet http://www.champixinfo.co.uk/ it is helping but Im still finding it really really difficult.

Thanks for reading, I look forward to reading your replies.

keep it up berley ,you know your doing the right thing ,also youve been on a nite out and you felt really good becasue you didnt need to go outside in the rain to smoke thats got to be good and your reallay facing this with a positive reaction so keep going were all behind you on this one:banana:

I stopped smoking in 1995.

What helped me was the fact that i was fooking skint and simply couldn't afford fags, if I had the cash I'd probably still be a smoker.

I gave up 3 years ago now and it was not easy, the first 3 days were the worst. I think what helped me was having a pack with me at all times, I knew they were there but I did not want them.

I gave up cold turkey but I occasionally slip by having the odd cigar when I am very drunk, but it is only once in a blue moon so it is all good.

Hope this helps.

Tony

just keep trying Berley I gave up a couple of years ago and my mrs gave up last year both cold turkey, I think sometimes using patches, gum or pills just remind you more of what you are missing.

maybe this will remind you of what you can expect if you keep smoking.

610x.jpg

Good luck Berley I know how hard this can be as I have tried many times,hope you get there in the end,
Please keep us informed as to how its going maybe posting here when you feel the need might help you along the way.

Good luck to your Berley!!!:Clap:

I commend you for trying to kick the habit. I have tried many a time and have told myself ...."this is my last cig..." It's just never works :(

The fact that me old man smokes doesn't help and also all my friends but i am serious about giving up and hopefully you kicking the habit will give me the strength to try and quit.

To me it would seem that you have already taken the hardest step and actually stopped and told yourself that you do not want to smoke. Now it is just a matter of making sure you don't go reaching for a cig.

Be strong as has been mentioned, think about the positive things that you will gain from quitting smoking, the money that will be saved and more importantly, the health benefits and think about the negatives smoking.

I sincerely hope you quit and don't forget we are all here for you if you need to talk or anything.

Hope that helps

Regards,

thanks a million for the above replies it really does help me.

i went out last night but only for an hour, i didnt smoke but the craving was there, just wish that would go, however i didn't give in to it so thats a good thing :banana:

ive also found telling everyone ive stopped helps

Keep it up berley,plenty of will power required,its hard but can be done.

Well done on not giving in when out last night :Clap:
Your doing great,Keep us posted.

i quit 6 months ago and i havnt touched a cig since, i did it cold turkey and proud that i didnt need patches or tablets. when i quit all my work mates where smokers so to help me get over it quicker, i still went outside with them when they wanted a cig and stood and talked to them. i felt rather than hiding from the smokers and trying to get rid of the craving that way, to go outside with them and get the craving there and say no i dont want one. sometimes i get little craving when ive been drinking but i still dont have one. imo if your an ex smoker/smoker, the craving will always be there as you no what your getting out of it. oh btw be careful with that champex tablet as some people get depressed on them and do stupid things. you could try the smoking stick or got to your local no smoking group as they give free patches/tablets etc and do carbon monoxide tests to see how much of a smoker you are. plus with the test you cant lie to them by saying youve sopped smoking when you havnt as it will show in your carbon monoxide levels.

i had to go and see the no smoking nurse before i was prescribed the tablets, i was aware about the side effects but thankfully ive suffered from non of them apart from quite lucid dreams

the nurse done the carbon monoxide test when i was smoking and my reading was 35 - she done another test on my after id been stopped for 12 days and my reading was 2 (apparantly if your a non smoker it should be under 5) so i was well chuffed to see the drop in my levels

thanks again for all the replies :)

i had to go and see the no smoking nurse before i was prescribed the tablets, i was aware about the side effects but thankfully ive suffered from non of them apart from quite lucid dreams

the nurse done the carbon monoxide test when i was smoking and my reading was 35 - she done another test on my after id been stopped for 12 days and my reading was 2 (apparantly if your a non smoker it should be under 5) so i was well chuffed to see the drop in my levels

thanks again for all the replies :)

2 packets or royals 24s i buy every other day {besides the health issues, i could have bought a small house on the money i spend weekly}

smokeings a mugs game, "but you dont realize this untill its too late"

well done keep it up, i quit (cold turkey) for about 10 yrs then started again after my divorce, started just a few a day now its about 10-15, tried to stop again but believe me its harder the second time so if you feel like starting again DONT

all the best

yes i quit smoking sometime ago more than 10 years now. used to smoke 50 a day omg i am not lying 50 a day i was addicted big time sometimes getting up 3am 4am to walk half a mile to the petrol staiton to buy some smokes or look in the ashtray i know bad disgusting looking back now anyway how i stopped first time i stopped when my first daughter was born for about a year and then started again then stopped smoking when the second daughter was born for about 6 months started again smoked for about 2 years after that
how i stopped i went to kiss my first born and she said no im not kissing you you stink so i got the packet of cigaretts that still had half in it and said im going to bin these cigaretts and from now on you will have to give me a kiss that day was the last time i smoked
i hate the smell of cigaretts now
i still fancy 1 after dinner but i havent had one in over 10 years

@ benny yep it is a mugs game and an expensive one at that, when i think of all the money thats just gone up in smoke, nvm no point dwelling on that least i can look forward to spending it on nicer things now

@ sean well done for stopping for 10 years, if you can do it once you can do it again so don’t give up hun

@ bikingmad aww what a real sweet strory, I bet your daughter is so proud now of what she told you 

keep up the good work, it sounds like you are determined to give up, telling everybody, going to doctors etc and to be honest wanting to give up is half the battle.

i gave up more than 15 years ago probably 20, id tried to give up a few times but only because others wanted me to give up mainly wife but never on my terms, then out of the blue i just decided id do it for me (sounds selfish) but i told everybody when i was giving up.

i still even now occasionally think a fag would be nice but it doesn't bother me, a friend smokes roll ups who i play golf with and occasionally when the wind is in the right direction i get a whiff of his.....

keep us posted how you are doing..........

then out of the blue i just decided id do it for me (sounds selfish) but i told everybody when i was giving up.

it doesn't sound selfish at all i sounds like a really good reason to me, and its the same one that i have

i also tried giving up a few times, the longest i managed to quit was 6 weeks but i was quitting because my husband wanted me to stop

i think you've got to want to stop yourself and not be doing it for anyone else

it doesn't sound selfish at all i sounds like a really good reason to me, and its the same one that i have

i also tried giving up a few times, the longest i managed to quit was 6 weeks but i was quitting because my husband wanted me to stop

i think you've got to want to stop yourself and not be doing it for anyone else

i do hope you give it up ,i have seen to meany people die because of smoking lung cancer,but if i had 1 wish it would be for anyone who wanted to stop would .
its harder to give up smoking than to give up crack .
so keep up the good work and stop needs to be for you but.

@berley just keep going :) it does get easier.....honest..lol

the only other thing i would say (and i wish i had done it) if you can afford it then save the moey you spent on fags every day.

do the maths its staggering if u smoke 20 a day that is about £5 x 365 = £1825 its obvoiusly less if you buy cheaper fags but still a hugh saving.

A girl at work was giving up for health reasons not that she couldnt afford it and i suggested she saved the money, she setup a transfer from her bank to savings account and has just done a year, she did smoke a few more than 20 but said the other day with the money she, hubby and 2 kids are going to portugal in august and most of it is with "her" fag money.

Back