need to drain fuel tank

Magnu420

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
i need to drain petrol fuel tank safely,im getting shut of my pug 107,which has a full tank of petrol
what is the easiest and safefast on doing this,i did think about syphon it via the sender unit
but the back seat wont lift up,i dont want to force it and end up breakin it
is they other ways,this needs to be done by monday,i dont want to put more milage on aswell
so driving it on a long distance is out of question,and i want to put the petrol that ive drained
out into new car

Could you not use a small hand pump and some tubing, you could pump it directly into the outher car, take it out the same way you put it in

I was thinking that as i wrote it

I believe these have an anti-syphon device built in so you'd have to split a line near the tank and drain it out. Likely collecting debris on the way so you'd need to filter it afterwards.

During the process you'll be surrounded with volatile fumes and a ready fuel source!

Not summat I'd be taking on M8! Please PM proposed date and location so I can be well away ;)

i need to drain petrol fuel tank safely,im getting shut of my pug 107,which has a full tank of petrol
what is the easiest and safefast on doing this,i did think about syphon it via the sender unit
but the back seat wont lift up,i dont want to force it and end up breakin it
is they other ways,this needs to be done by monday,i dont want to put more milage on aswell
so driving it on a long distance is out of question,and i want to put the petrol that ive drained
out into new car

The easiest and safest method is to charge an extra 50.00 for your car m8 to cover the cost of the fuel. It is the safest and most sensible option.

is there no way to start the car and intercept the fuel before it hits the engine?
there's a fuel pump isn't there?

obviously i am not a mechanic, just thinking aloud...

I aint a mechanic aswell i did think about that but wouldnt know which pipe is feeding the injectors ( these new cars are totaly differant to the old style cars)

sent from 2 tin cans and some string

Pretty sure every vehicle has a fuel filter, usually tucked behind the sills about half way along the vehicle's length. It should be easy to disconnect the filter, then open the filler-cap and siphon from where you have disconnected the fuel filter.
Do this in the open so that petrol fumes can disperse, DON'T be tempted to try this working in a pit !!! Remember petrol fumes are heavier than air and so would fill the pit and become an unexploded bomb awaiting ignition.

You would have to clamp the fuel line and then cut the pipe, connect a suitable hose to the cut fuel line and then stick the other end of the pipe in a suitable container. Syphon a small amount off at a time and then clamp again. repeat this process until you have your acquired amount of fuel then re-connect the fuel line with a suitable joining connector.

Reminds me of a time when I was a teenager, we went to south end sea side in a mini with some friends, we spent all our money and had no petrol to drive back home, so we syphoned petrol from some car and managed to get back. It was easy in those days.

Reminds me of a time when I was a teenager, we went to south end sea side in a mini with some friends, we spent all our money and had no petrol to drive back home, so we syphoned petrol from some car and managed to get back. It was easy in those days.

So it was you that robbed my petrol was it Mr drob? : spank :

So it was you that robbed my petrol was it Mr drob? : spank :

God only knows where you were at that time mate. I had to stop on some farm on the way back to nick some cauliflowers to get rid of the petrol taste in my mouth, it was the only edible thing I could find

God only knows where you were at that time mate. I had to stop on some farm on the way back to nick some cauliflowers to get rid of the petrol taste in my mouth, it was the only edible thing I could find

Was there no pubs in the area near you to get a pint or was you wagging it from school at the time?. pmpl

Was there no pubs in the area near you to get a pint or was you wagging it from school at the time?. pmpl

Yes but none of us had any money left, we spent it all on girls

I left school early, we were poor that time I had to work and help Mom and Dad.

If we had any money we would have bought some petrol, it must have been less than 10 shillings a gallon at the time

Last edited:
Back