need help with ebuyer

bobby boy

Inactive User
Reaction score
just sold a car on ebay buyer test drove it and check around it paid for it then went on his merry way 2 days later he says there is a fault and it is up to me to give him his money back or taking me too court he left feedback saying all ok this is the 1st and last time i sell owt on there i sold it as sold as seen am i in trouble or wot sould i forget about help me thanks

just sold a car on ebay buyer test drove it and check around it paid for it then went on his merry way 2 days later he says there is a fault and it is up to me to give him his money back or taking me too court he left feedback saying all ok this is the 1st and last time i sell owt on there i sold it as sold as seen am i in trouble or wot sould i forget about help me thanks
what fault did he say it had?
plus if he had a test drive and was happy he paid
did u give him a receipt for it saying sold as seen?

he said power steering leak he did have a test drive and gave him a receipt stating sold as seen what do i do

I think it really depends on how much you sold it for and how old it was as to wether he has any further rights. The sold as seen,as far as im aware, doesn't mean a lot, if you sell something, it has to be fit for its purpose its sold for. Saying that any second hand car sold probably has something wrong with it hes probably being petty

it was a 1992 renault for 360 dobbs with mot till sept put on listing sold as seen

if the listing on ebay states clearly "sold as seen" and no money back/no return etc, then the guy cant return it and get money back as that is your contract with him same as if you buy summit from a shop online etc.

Forget the written receipt, well i guess its an added bonus, so keep it, but if your ad on ebay clearly states that when you buy you cant return the item then thats basically it, so dont worry about it.

Its like , if you went to a car showroom, and it says on the window of the car, caution ! if you buy this car it is non refundable or returnable, i guess they wouldnt get the car sold, lol, but at the same time i would imagine they would then have the right to refuse money back or return, just as you can do, what would be the point in even having adverts that state these things otherwise, know what i mean, would be a waste of time, i dunno just how the law go's though, but i think if its sold as seen then its sold as seen, simple as that.

In the UK private car sales are sold as seen, no warranty implied, unlike trade who have to offer a warranty (IIRC minimum of 3 months). Which is why some used car salespersons sell the guff they've taken in part ex as private sales - well they might have before scrap prices rose recently.

A leaking PAS box is an MOT failure. IMO if the buyer didn't have an inspection(RAC/AA) before handing the money over, he doesn't really have a lot of come back.

Also 2 days to notice a problem? In that time he could have done it himself by hitting a kerb, or worse ringed it (wouldn't say this to his face though, its could constitute slander).

For a more official confirmation of what you've been told here, see the last parragraph on this page: http://whatconsumer.co.uk/buying-a-car/

as you are a private seller (not a dealer) he cannot expect any warranty unless you offer, he cannot, in law, demand his money back or ask you to fix it, unless you agree that you knew about the fault, but you did'nt did you.
no case to answer, tell him he has no rights on this m8.

oi give me my money back you twot pmsl

tell the idiot to fook off he could of done anything in that car driveby - robbery anything then he will say not me offisfer was him
he is taking the pish m8 he aint got a leg to stand on

thanks peeps was getting worried think youv'e all cleared it up great help:Cheers:

for the amount the car is worth the bloke is wasting his time

wtf does he expect for 360 quid

the courts will laugh at him

mot and tax is gonna cost around 35% of the cars value anyway

for the amount the car is worth the bloke is wasting his time

wtf does he expect for 360 quid

the courts will laugh at him

mot and tax is gonna cost around 35% of the cars value anyway
A leaking PAS box is an MOT failure though, and I think this is where the buyer is coming from. But the OP has no legal requirement to fix or refund.

Back