need help in creating site

Pranav

Inactive User
Reaction score
hi all,

I need help in creating a new website..for my university project i hhave to create a website on my experience this year working at a firm and i need to know how to make a website preferably HTML i am guessing as its the easiest right?....i would love it if somoene can teach me how to encorporate CSS into it as well and how i can create an html website ASAP?

The content willl just be information but the strcuture the links to different pages need to me done neatly....please can someone tell me what i can use to do this as i installed dreamweaver ultra dev which somoene gave me but i cannot use it...

please can someone kindly help me out step by step and what program i can use? ....

Why are unis teaching HTML? Have you even got a webhost that can support HTML/PHP?

sorri?...what do u mean by webshot?....no we need to create a website using anything i am suggesting html?

You still need somewhere to host it, you create the HTML code then upload it on a webhost. If its a uni project they should be able to provide that?

why are you posting the same thing twice?

https://www.digitalworldz.co.uk/index.php?threads/176416/

people were trying to help you on this thread also...

Now, back to your post. You wont be able to connect a DB with HTML. UltraDev is old and out of date, so is pretty useless to you right now. Plus, you do not need it in order to create a website along the spec you have mentioned.

Now, you want a site that connects to a DB? Ok, what DB are you trying to connect to first?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, don't host it on your PC not a good idea.
Just use a webhost.

Righth my uni will provide me the web hosting so basiclaly i create the html or whatever language pages and i have to upload these onto the uni workspace i have access to - Simple!

now to the main point i need assistance in creating a site i would really appreciate someone help me out with this...i wwant to learn how to create the site ...i am currently downloading Dreamweaver CS3 as u r right ultra dev is crap and old

ok, so what DB are you planning to connect to? Is it Access? Oracle? SQL Server? MySQL? POSTGRESQL?

ok, so what DB are you planning to connect to? Is it Access? Oracle? SQL Server? MySQL? POSTGRESQL?

Lol, Why would you need to use any DB, they are just trying to create a simple website with just some information... :)

If you cant use dreamweaver just try frontpage if you can get it with Microsoft Office, it doesnt have some of the options of dw but it is simpler... Panel 1 lets you make the site, its as simple as making a word document, Panel 2 shows you the HTML code that makes up the page and Panel 3 shows you what the site will look like.

Step 1,

Plan what you want to display and how you want to display, number of pages and so on.

Step 2,

Draw it all on paper, the layout and sections and any artwork.

Step 3,

Open Dreamweaver/Frontpage/ANYTHING that makes HTML create the first page, call it index.htm add links in there to page2.htm (add pictures, menus, etc)

Step 4, Create page2.htm

Step 5, Upload site to Uni host, using FTP program just google Free FTP :)

Last edited:
guys for this i dont need to connect to a DB i simply need to make an informaiton based site thats it?

Thanksc mate i have downloaded the free version of dreamweaver cs3 and installing it right now....i will try creating the pages o hehre ...if you know anyuseful tips for dreamweaver or links please let me know its JUST A SIMPLE information based website but i want to make it look profesional ...i will try to encorporate CSS in it but not sure how i do this so some help on how to do it would be great thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
CSS are just style sheets, so for example if on each page you are going to use the same font for certain element like inside tables and the same hyperlink colours and so on then instead of typing all that into each and every page you create you put all the formatting into a .css file and then you just call that .css file inside your html...

The best way would try it the basic method get used to making the site then look at the code for formatting, colours and so on, you will soon get the hang of it and be able to transfer the code u are using all the time to a css file :)

My tips would be not to use dreamweavers advanced features, play around with the basics like positioning pictures, tables formatting and so on... then when you are used to that, then try looking for a free template that looks good and try editing and using that :) I never use Dreamweaver, I always just use Notepad because its quick and simple and it doesnt add annoying extra code, however you do need to know HTML to be able to do that.

Have a look at the following for .css basics
http://www.w3.org/Style/Examples/011/firstcss

Last edited:
If you dont know the basics keep away from them... Not really the ideal solution for a beginner... You will need a DB, PHP support, then you will need to install Joomla on your host then make the site... Its not really the best solution if your trying to learn how to make a basic html site, lol :)

i dont understand why its difficult for people to understand...ok....i am simply creating a informational website with words etc and links to other pages that simple nothing fancy at all ....the site will simply have informaiton in it......I can create this with HTML/CSS or any other langauge in the World?

WAMP is self installling and includes MYSQL, PHP and APACHE. hard to make a mistake.

Joomla is an excellent CMS ssytem, come on HTML that's so 90's why bother. Also has a massive user base and many help forums.

its hard to understand as your not explaining what it is your trying to do very well...one minute all you need is html pages to display information then next your needing databases

sounds like you dont actually have any sort of clue and to be honest after a year at uni (or college in your other post?) i would jack it in, if you dont even know basic html or css then theres no chance of you understanding db's or other scripting lanaguges

Back