Need a new laptop

damaan

Inactive User
Reaction score
I am looking for a new laptop. Looking for a high spec but have only £500-600 to spend. Which is the best make to buy - I was thinking of Sony but they seem more expensive than the others.
Anyone know any good website or places to buy. Any recommendations welcomed!
Thanks.:Cheers:

I bought a ferrari one netbook through Argos clearance on ebay. £400 spec for £300. I'm well happy with it, but one of the things I was looking for was compactness and lightness.
We all have different needs.
Wizbit77

You'll pay a premium for sony. Check out Acer, HP at ebay clearance or Dell clearance. These are generally new machines but that been returned for various reasons like wrong spec or something. Come with full warranty.

Depending on if want 17" (more screen area, better keyboard but heavier) or 15" (better battery life, lighter) I think you should be able to squeeze a i5, 4GB ram, 500gb hdd and discreate gfx and maybe a blu-ray reader.

You'll pay a premium for sony. Check out Acer, HP at ebay clearance or Dell clearance. These are generally new machines but that been returned for various reasons like wrong spec or something. Come with full warranty.
too bloody right mate, stay away from sony , very bad support for new OS (anything that doesnt come with windows 7 per se will need drivers sticking in, in order if they even support windows 7 on laptops older than 12 months officially) not only that pay to have the badge on the side.

acer , hp, dell, asus all very good.

check out the dell 15r with i5 think they are about £600 nice and fast and well built, i have one but the i3 version.

I've had Acers, which were ok for the money (cheap) HP and Dell were surprisingly a real let down, the sound quality was god awful, and bang for buck not really anything special.

The best one I've had, and use still is a Toshiba. It's nippy, reliable, works well with Linux out the box, and importantly for me, has exceedingly decent sound quality considering it's laptop. It's got Harmon-Kardon speakers, (not all Tosh lappys do IIRC) which give excellent sound results. Definitely the best laptop I've owned, or used, even compared the to over priced Sony units.

They're the first brand I'll look at next time I look to upgrade my laptop, no question.

Thanks to everyone for their replies:Clap:
Does anyone know any good websites for laptops. I know about laptopsdirect but does anyone know any other reputable sites.
Thanks.:Cheers:

For Dell, check their website as they have a clearance section.

Also check ebay outlet store where argos, tesco, etc seem to be offloading excess stock.

Also think about second hand, there are some nearly new laptops on ebay though quite often they go for new or even higher prices.

BTW, the main experiance I have had with Sony was for a client. Awesome bit of kit but cost £1,500 quid so I would expect so.

Best upgrade I can recommend to anyone who wants to speed up their laptop is get an SSD drive, can't believe the difference it makes.

I'm liking my Dell Studio 17 - as a multimedia laptop it came with built-in JBL speakers. Bought it on offer, went through Quidco (7% cashback on the non-VAT price) and used a compatible discount voucher too - saved me a fair bit.

It replaced a 15.4" Sony Vaio from Tesco Direct, bought it end-of-line clearance for £350.

Back