Nasa could attempt to land on an asteroid

fireblade

Elite Member
Reaction score
Nasa is contemplating landing a probe on an asteroid that could be on its way to hit Earth.

It's only a one in a 1,000 chance but if it did the consequences would be huge. Potentially the damage could be much bigger than a nuclear bomb.

The asteroid is a long way off yet, if it does hit us at all it will not be until 2182.

Regardless, scientists at Nasa want to try and collect a few samples in order to help predict where it might land.

At the moment, Nasa is considering the mission along with a few others at a two-day workshop in Washington DC.

If the plan were to go ahead then it would emulate films like Armageddon and Deep Impact which saw attempts to land on asteroids in order to stop them from hitting Earth.

Nasa could attempt to land on an asteroid - Yahoo! News UK

NASA - Home

So apparently they could land on an asteroid and divert it from collision with Earth...yet they cannot stop at least 1 plane from collision with a skyscraper tower. Something doesn't add up there for me. Can't put my finger on it but it doesn't seem right that they think they can land on an asteroid and divert it yet they can't stop an aeroplane in New York airspace.

I'm sure if they had 72 years then they could have stopped the plane.

Did you lot pay any attention to that comet that hung in the sky for months back in 1997(?) ?

I think it was called Halle-Bop or something like that, it was clearly visible to the naked eye and had 2 tails, it was amazing. :)

My wife can't remember it at all, how could she have missed it, it was there for about a year!!

Me thinks they been watching to many movies :)

The japs landed a probe on an asteroid in 2005 mate,it returned to earth earlier this year with the collected samples.

Yes Witch, Comet Hale-Bop was the largest comet ever visible to the naked eye and could be seen for a record breaking 18 months before disappearing.

I suppose any advances in Space Technology these days will be associated with some kind of event seen in the Movie's.

I don't think that many of the members of DW will be worried about what happens in 2182 mind you we will all be up there watching it evolve.

Back