NAS Drive advice and streaming advice please.

Dazza

Inactive User
Reaction score
I'm asking this for a mate, so not too many questions back to me please, as I probably won't know the answer...! (Though I'll try, obviously...!)

He wants to get a NAS drive, and stream to his 360 in HD (whatever).

His 360 is legit and unmodded.

Is there a particular NAS drive that works better than others...?

What else does he need, or need to do once he's got the NAS drive...?

Cheers...

Nobody any info they could share...?

No matter how little, every little helps...! ;)

Blimey, that's a bit steep isn't it...?

Can you not just use a normal, run of the mill NAS drive then...???

this is slightly cheaper, but doesnt come with any drives: [ame]http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000GK8LVE/interactiveda3023-21[/ame]

Any NAS you pick up will be slightly more expensive than a good external HDD.

Hmm, ok, thanks for this, I think we might be getting somewhere now then...

He (my mate with the 360) was considering something like this Western Digital My Book World Edition Drive. (Or something along those lines anyway I believe.)

Would that not be possible then...?

Thanks again for help guys...!

I am not sure this is a true NAS, it may need additional software installed on a PC for it to behave like a disk drive...

I have seen a review for a cheap desktop SAN somewhere also, this could also be a better alternative.

He (my mate with the 360) was considering something like this Western Digital My Book World Edition Drive. (Or something along those lines anyway I believe.)

Would that not be possible then...?

That's the drive I've got and it's excellent.

It's linux based so you can use it for all manner of interesting things. I'm running twonky on it for streaming to the 360 and it's flawless.

Would definitely recommend it.

That's the drive I've got and it's excellent.

It's linux based so you can use it for all manner of interesting things. I'm running twonky on it for streaming to the 360 and it's flawless.

Would definitely recommend it.

Interesting. Thanks for that Cydine....

I'll do some Google runs of Twonky and see what it's all about...

Ta for the reply...!

You def need TwonkyVision to run a NAS to the 360 without the need for a PC to be on. Think it's about $25

Thanks guys, I've forwarded him the link for Twonky....

Is it easy to set up, or will I be providing blind assistance...??? lol

Can somebody who uses Twonky tell me how to set it up please, or point me towards some good tutorials etc...?

Ta...!

Depends on what device it is being installed.

Comes already built but does require a moderate knowledge of linux shell to get it working.

Depends on what device it is being installed.

Comes already built but does require a moderate knowledge of linux shell to get it working.

It's going on the WD My Book Pro 1tb drive I mentioned in this thread, well, that's what he's intending anyway...!

I'm no expert with Linux, but I've dabbled over the years with different distro's, and have a basic knowledge... (How basic, we've yet to find out....!) lol

Here's the site for you need:

http://mybookworld.wikidot.com/

Twonky thread:

http://mybookworld.wikidot.com/forum/t-46375/twonkymedia-on-mybook-possible-clue

When you get the MyBook you will have to enable the ssh daemon to gain access. Instructions are on the 'First Steps' page. Use method 2 for both enabling ssh and making it permanent.

After installing twonky you will need to modify the startup script a bit to get it to run. Let me know when you get to this stage and I will post my modified script.

Also twonky has a 30 day free trial then needs to be paid for. There is a 'ahem' way round this also if you are interested.

Nice one mate, just had a very quick gander at that wiki, and it seems do-able... I'll take a proper look when I've got more time though...

I'll buzz you again when I'm nearer to needing that script...

Cheers.

BTW, my mate reckons he's already got the "necessary" for Twonky, but thanks anyway...

Here's the site for you need:

http://mybookworld.wikidot.com/

Twonky thread:

http://mybookworld.wikidot.com/forum/t-46375/twonkymedia-on-mybook-possible-clue

When you get the MyBook you will have to enable the ssh daemon to gain access. Instructions are on the 'First Steps' page. Use method 2 for both enabling ssh and making it permanent.

After installing twonky you will need to modify the startup script a bit to get it to run. Let me know when you get to this stage and I will post my modified script.

Also twonky has a 30 day free trial then needs to be paid for. There is a 'ahem' way round this also if you are interested.

Mate, I think I'm ready for this script now, 'cos my mate has bought the unit, and is waiting on me to sort it... So I might as well do it all in one go, save doing it in seperate trips etc...

I think I've got my head around what I've got to do...

Ta for the help.

Back