Name that box!

breeze

Inactive User
Reaction score
I have aquired a dbox but how do I find out which chipset or rom version it is?

It says 'd.box multimedia terminal dvb by nokia' on the front and looks a lot like the old nokia on-digital box.

Any help would be great thanks.

BREEZE....

I have aquired a dbox but how do I find out which chipset or rom version it is?

It says 'd.box multimedia terminal dvb by nokia' on the front and looks a lot like the old nokia on-digital box.

Any help would be great thanks.

BREEZE....

It sounds like you have a Nokia dbox2 m8, all of which have 2 flash chips. Why not hook it up and see what image is on it.........you'll find this out during the boot process.

Sounds like a Nokia Dbox 1, which are much more complicated to setup and need extra hardware.

If it has a rectangular LCD then it is a Dbox2, if it has Calculator style LED's then it is a Dbox1

If it is a Dbox1 and you fancy a new project then go for it, otherwise drop it in the bin.

It has the little green LEDs so I think it must be a Dbox1. when you say new project, how difficult is it to get it up and running? Assuming that I have access to any software that may be required and an rs232 cable.

Cheers.

BREEZE.....

If it has three scart sockets on the back and no ethernet port then it is defo a dbox1...........if so, bin it.

If it has an ethernet port then it is a dbox2 and all is good !!! Easy to set up and plenty of back up here on this forum.

Right, this seems good, there are 2 scarts and an ethernet port on the back so it looks like it could be a Dbox2, now all I need to know is how to set it up. There are half a dozen or so files for the 2x chipset, which I'm assuming this is, which ones do I need?

Cheers.

BREEZE....

Its a dbox2 what image is on it when you boot it up it might just need a file updating which you can use flashfxp

Last edited:
It is a dbox 2 m8, have you tried plugging it in to your tv and the cable feed to see what you get, you may be lucky.

ITS a very good chance its a 2x as there were very very few 1x nokias

Derek

yep 90 percent its a nokia 2x dbox2

ok good idea to take the telnet port out as well as it does help the older boxes with smoothness too

try any image to get it going and dont stop with just trying one as there is so many great images out there

also some images work better with certain boxes strange but true

plenty of tuts to get you flashing these images on m8

cheers

Just to confirm and agree with what Gav is saying, except I'd say the chances of this box being a Nokia dBox2 2x are 99.99% !!

And to avoid any possible confusion, remove the modem card which is alongside the tuner can (Antenna / TV sockets) and has the port labelled Telefon

The Telnet functions are dealt with by the Ethernet port, which you definately want to keep in place! (Slip of the tongue on Gav's part- and I'm not trying to be cute)

Removing the modem board (which serves no useful purpose for us, yet) increases cooling airflow around the tuner can, and reduces the load (hence heat output) on the PSU.

Must have felt like Christmas had arrived early, when you discovered it wasn't a dbox1 door stop after all, LOL!

Cheers- AL

When I power it on there is a picture of a penguin! and then a screen that looks like the pic below.
I'll have a look around to find a tut on what I can do with it now that I know what it is.

Thanks everyone.

BREEZE.....

Just to confirm and agree with what Gav is saying, except I'd say the chances of this box being a Nokia dBox2 2x are 99.99% !!

And to avoid any possible confusion, remove the modem card which is alongside the tuner can (Antenna / TV sockets) and has the port labelled Telefon

The Telnet functions are dealt with by the Ethernet port, which you definately want to keep in place! (Slip of the tongue on Gav's part- and I'm not trying to be cute)

Removing the modem board (which serves no useful purpose for us, yet) increases cooling airflow around the tuner can, and reduces the load (hence heat output) on the PSU.

Must have felt like Christmas had arrived early, when you discovered it wasn't a dbox1 door stop after all, LOL!

Cheers- AL

damn im a fool lol getting too old for this lol

telefon thats what i meant i could of been in trouble there cheers al for putting it straight GULP

dbox help

hi m8 when i flash a 1x image on to my 2 x chip box it cums up . [kavin systems]. on the lcd screen on the front of the box. or something like that and it dose not load. so u know if it;s a 1x or 2x image without opening the box. if your going to do that m8 just look for chips google and you'll get some pics of what you need to look for m8.

thanks gsim

hope this helps u out m8

There is a wee app u can downlaod that will tell you the chipset you have in the box, all you need to do it enter the IP address of the box and connect it to your pc or router with a network cable.

I'd be suprised it is was not a 2x chipset, I don't think I've ever seen a 1x Nokia.

I just noticed that the box is running z0gre Balu, that was my fav image back in the day :)

Fook me, it's got zg0re balu on it.

Ahhh, that takes me back.........

Me too! zg0re Balu is what I cut my first dbox teeth on, LOL! Remember the 'Kit' that had to be added in, to make it all UK? Jeez- the years are flying by fast. AL

yea and i still got all them files from them days lol

but we have come a long way since them days

i think its got to be the biggest classic out there

Right guys, I still have this box but haven't done anything with it yet, could someone point me in the right direction. I am a total noob when it comes to these boxes but I'm willing to learn so a tutorial would be nice. what exactly is it capable of doing once it is brought up to date?

Cheers.

Right guys, I still have this box but haven't done anything with it yet, could someone point me in the right direction. I am a total noob when it comes to these boxes but I'm willing to learn so a tutorial would be nice. what exactly is it capable of doing once it is brought up to date?

Cheers.

it's up to u what it does, use as a freeview box or it is capable of of showing all channels v*m stream (illegal of course) with 7-day program guide. it can be used to stream tv to pc, u can add a hdd to record, u can record to pc, u can play some basic games,u can link to internet to update or see weather, traffic cams etc etc

first thing u need to do is get pt-1's helpfile and read it and then get the correct cable to connect pc to box and be able to ftp,

cheers

Back