my sunray vu solo2 clone is DEAD by bomb...¿Should I use Jtag or replace IC chip?

devilxtasy

Inactive User
Reaction score
HI all!
I have a problem with my sunray vu solo 2 clone, because it is dead by bomb attack.
Mi question ¿it is possible reprogramme the vu solo 2 by jtag (with cypress) or it is necessary replace the chip IC to resurrect my bricked box?

Does anyone know what is this piece?

image.jpg

Edit:
I need replace this piece, but i don't find the seller that sell this piece ¿Any suggestion?
this piece is Independent Flash IC, i can change by yourself, without soldering

HTB12VieGXXXXXXSXXXXq6xXFXXX0.jpg

A greetings and thanks.

Last edited:
HI all!
I have a problem with my sunray vu solo 2 clone, because it is dead by bomb attack.
Mi question ¿it is possible reprogramme the vu solo 2 by jtag (with cypress) or it is necessary replace the chip IC to resurrect my bricked box?

Does anyone know what is this piece?

View attachment 84508

Edit:
I need replace this piece, but i don't find the seller that sell this piece ¿Any suggestion?
this piece is Independent Flash IC, i can change by yourself, without soldering

View attachment 84509

A greetings and thanks.

What about the web address across the flash nand ?

Do they not have them ?

I contacted the seller, but now but now have no stock available.
I hear suggestions or recommendations
Thanks for your answer.

Sorry to hear that. I can't help with regards to replacing chip but I would like to know how you managed to clone bomb it? What image/version were you using?

My sunray works fine on any original image prior to when new kernel/drivers were updated. Any image which has new kernel/drivers my box refused to fully boot unless I removed ethernet cable.

Sorry to hear that. I can't help with regards to replacing chip but I would like to know how you managed to clone bomb it? What image/version were you using?

I'd be very interested to hear what happened too, I thought the Sunrays were less vulnerable.

I'd be very interested to hear what happened too, I thought the Sunrays were less vulnerable.
To the best of my knowledge I don't know of any confirmed cases where Sunray's have suffered from time bomb.

In fact I have original image and original drivers of Vix 24 (the version immediately before the new kernel was released) and it is working fine despite the drivers being original one included in image at time and not specifically clone-safe driver (ie a december 2013 or earlier version). I have tried other images prior to new kernel and they worked okay as well.

As I said it's only images with newer kernel the box refuses to fully boot okay unless ethernet was removed (ie so a time-sync couldn't be done via internet) and obviously I took this as a warning sign and immediately flashed back to images before the new kernel was introduced.

@devilxtasy

Could you please let us know how you managed to clone bomb it (including image and version) so to act as a warning for the rest of us Sunray Solo2 owners.

My box is brick with the image VIX Helios 16, when i was configuring the network and put manually the ip, dns... The sunray showed a problem, and then do not turn on.
Thanks for all, I am getting much help from you.
I hope to find a solution.

My box is brick with the image VIX Helios 16, when i was configuring the network and put manually the ip, dns... The sunray showed a problem, and then do not turn on.
Thanks for all, I am getting much help from you.
I hope to find a solution.
Thanks for that.

Before you manually put in IP, dns, etc was the box working ok and did you already have Helios 16 installed? Where did you get Helios 16 as I've read somewhere that clonesafe ones (designed for other clones) don't work?

I'm only asking because my Sunray Solo2 (v2) has had different original and untouched images on including Helios and never had any issues except for recently with newer images using new Kernel which refused to fully boot as mentioned earlier.

I can confirm loading latest the latest images does brick the Sunray solo2. I am waiting for replacement flash it's the second pic that devilxtasy posted. This clone has little support at the moment, we will have to wait and see. Hopefully when recovery software is released it can be done with the service port without having to replace flashes.

Can you clarify how u did that because on my sunray solo2 the very latest vix results in it refusing to fully bootup unless I removed Ethernet cable and then tried to bootup. Same thing happens on other images I tried.

I only tried again at weekend and same again.

If I remember correctly I booted it with the Ethernet and Sat feeds in and it hung. I then turned the unit off, turn it on with a clone safe image to flash and only the power light is on.

@ ketmp I stand corrected, I checked which image I was trying to flash. It was VIX Apollo 29 from the VU-HD site. I'm not blaming VIX for this happening as I use it in my original VU boxes without any problems. It originally had Blackhole on it but wanted VIX Apollo with the feeds running, so I could try and download a dib0700 driver for my Nova -T usb stick.

The images from vu-hd site weren't designed to run on sunray clones models. It sounds like that's what caused it.

I assume u have no sign of life now and it won't accept a re-flash to vix 24 available from original download section of this site.

Newer images than this included new kernel which results with it refusing to fully bootup. Same thing with different images from elsewhere they won't work either with new kernel.

Yes correct only power button light on and VFD heaters lit up everything else dead!

Yes correct only power button light on and VFD heaters lit up everything else dead!
Can you approach your supplier and ask them if they do replacement flash chips (ideally already flashed)?

Yes I already have a flash chip on its way from supplier, at least it's mounted on a little plugin board so no resolderring is required. I wish there was more support for this clone.

...I wish there was more support for this clone.
I agree. The Sunray's have not fallen foul to the clone bomb under normal circumstances (to the best of my knowledge) but their total lack of support is really annoying and off-putting.

@ ketmp I stand corrected, I checked which image I was trying to flash. It was VIX Apollo 29 from the VU-HD site. I'm not blaming VIX for this happening as I use it in my original VU boxes without any problems. It originally had Blackhole on it but wanted VIX Apollo with the feeds running, so I could try and download a dib0700 driver for my Nova -T usb stick.

I just like it has happened to you, my image was a helios 017,from VU-HD :(, our stories are matched.
My deco is dead, and I'm hoping to fix it.
THE problem seems to be that of "vuhd" are dangerous for our sunray.
I have read something someone have managed to patch the new images sunray, is that true? you know how to patch the new drivers?

I had same problem i solve the problem my own you need new NAD FLASH and some solderring tools also cypress USB DEVELOPING BOARD can used as a jtag as well as BBS software i used Digitalworldz forums to solve the problem
. Supliers wont help you they know there is problem with structure VU+ which they can not solve problem it has sufficent information in the forums

I had same problem i solve the problem my own you need new NAD FLASH and some solderring tools also cypress USB DEVELOPING BOARD can used as a jtag as well as BBS software i used Digitalworldz forums to solve the problem
. Supliers wont help you they know there is problem with structure VU+ which they can not solve problem it has sufficent information in the forums

I need to weld a new piece?
can be programmed with cypress unsoldered jtag?

Back