My new media player

Jooooles

DW Regular +
Reaction score
Western Digital TV HD 1080P Media Player: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

I bought one of these from the metrocentre sony shop last week for £80 there full HD play everything Ive chucked at it including

MKV
VOB
XVID
DIVX
MP4
MP2
X264

They even have a sorting folders theres no time to stream even my 2 1TB external drives the HD is second to none and wipes the @ss of my HD up graded players

Best thing Ive ever bought apart from my sloot of a girlfreind :proud: seriously these little things rock very very nice.

Heres a pic to compare the size to a un refillable lighter the remote is even smaller

:Fish:

Last edited:
that bugs fook outta me, seeing the 'note to installing engineer' slapped on the front of sky boxes, what sort of wierd engineer sticks them right on the front? theyre meant to be peeled off lol

Digi man forget about the sky just for one minute look at the media player m8 lol

nah serious I couldnt crack on with the other issues cos the misses is watching a film but when I get sorted I will share my food with you cos your a great help to society :mad:)

Bought one myself at Xmas. Excellent bits of kit. Wish I'd gone for the Live version though with LAN streaming and youtube support

now your talking didnt know there was a live version might look into this as I have not bought one for the sitting room yet

You can also install custom firmware on the live version. There doesn't seem to be a custom firmware for the v2 box :-(

I assume that's the one you've got?

You can also install custom firmware on the live version. There doesn't seem to be a custom firmware for the v2 box :-(

I assume that's the one you've got?

Aye thats right I must say though it has played every file I have on my hard drives so Im happy but if you can install custom firmware on the new version thats a definate plus surely these have a great codec pack already in place though.

Anyway Im gonna have a look at this new version as the plasterers are due in next month so I need all my cables and stuff in place are Im gonna run into trouble the misses wants all my junk hid Im having nightmares

I like a little bit mess :proud:

Take a look at the forum below lizzard m8, especially the homebrew/custom section.

WDTV is good but not great, if you install custom firmware on it, then it becomes a great piece of kit. Theres all sorts of mods for it like a usb to ethernet hack, you can get a usb/ethernet adapter and then plug it into your router.

The move wall and OSD enhanching packs are brilliant. Have a look.

http://wdtvforum.com/main/index.php

Edit...ooops sorry lizzard, never noticed it was a 2nd gen wdtv. As purity said, no custom firmware for that...yet.

Should have bought an Xtreamer...lol

Last edited:
Take a look at the forum below lizzard m8, especially the homebrew/custom section.

WDTV is good but not great, if you install custom firmware on it, then it becomes a great piece of kit. Theres all sorts of mods for it like a usb to ethernet hack, you can get a usb/ethernet adapter and then plug it into your router.

The move wall and OSD enhanching packs are brilliant. Have a look.

http://wdtvforum.com/main/index.php

Edit...ooops sorry lizzard, never noticed it was a 2nd gen wdtv. As purity said, no custom firmware for that...yet.

Should have bought an Xtreamer...lol

WTF lol I didnt even know all this was available I just seen the thing and did not do any reading up anyway this is for the bedroom so looks like I have a bit more reading to do before I chuck more coin away lol

WTF lol I didnt even know all this was available I just seen the thing and did not do any reading up anyway this is for the bedroom so looks like I have a bit more reading to do before I chuck more coin away lol

If you are still looking for another media player, have a look for the xtreamer m8, it comes with a free wireless aerial so no wires to annoy the missus...lol and you can install a 2.5" internal hdd.

Last edited:
excuse my ignorance but what do these said above boxes do?

Basically they are just HD media boxes which play almost every file type. So you connect a hdd to it and connect the media box to the tv, then you can watch all your films or listen to your music.

The Xtreamer is also wireless so you can connect it to your network and watch stuff from your pc. It also has internet radio.

The WDTV Live! is only £90.46 this weekend @Scan, you can get free delivery through avforums, or go to the counter if you live near (like moi).

would these boxs play files from a dvd if an external drive was used?? blue ray or otherwise??

well i got one and a 320gb hard drive for £115 outta comet, i will see how they go the night

THANKS OP :)

Back