my network

rizla3066

Inactive User
Reaction score
hi all,,,, i need help!!!!! i want to set a wirelees home network,,, i have got my tower comp with pci wireless card,,, and want to connect to my laptop. i have got as far as connecting the 2 comps and setting up a home network,, i also managed to get internet through my tower to my laptop,,, all sounds good yeah??? my problem is when i turn my comps off and turn them back on i have to set my network again???? so if i was upostairs and turned my lappy on i have to go down stairs and sort the network out???? shouldent it just pick my lappy up anyway??? well thats what i want,,, all help apprectiated

A little more info such as are u using static ip's or is it set to obtain then auto ?? Are u using a router or access point ??

If u are not using static ip's this would be the way to go i think / this way the info is retained by each pc and wont have to see what pc are connecting each time ...

Regards

hi thx 4 quick response,,,,, yes i set up network using network set up wizard,,,@wiz the ip is set to abtain automaticly,,, not using router and not sure about access point,,, if i right click on my network connection and go to properties, wireless network tab then advanced mine is set to comp to comp ad hoc network only?? is that any more help

If u are losing the network each time i would try static ip's then m8, change to say 192.168.0.1 on tower and 192.168.0.2 on lappy, ideally an access point would suit u somewhere in your setup...

Regards

Its windows its sh1te, you need to either set up a NAT (look here ww.nat32.com), or a proxy server.

The NAT it better from nat32, its so good I bought it:)

ok just tried a static ip wich works but still gettin the same prob when i turn my lappy off my main comp looses the network, then when i turn lappy bak on the lappy detects the network but my main comp stays off????? nightmare doin my head in,,,, its like it wont store the network,,, i thought as the main comp that would keep connection open awaiting other comps to log on????

yes defo peer to peer,,,, maybe i set it up wrong,,,, but it does work tho... strange!!!!! i might need taking through it step by step off some one who knows what their doin,,, my first network aint goin 2 good

The Windows wireless network is VERY flaky, slightly better with SP2...but still poor.

Thats why I went the NAT option, never had a problem since, main PC is the server (Gateway) and I have 2 lappy's hanging off the end.

ANd also I dont have BB. and it looks for the Network adaptor to have an IP address and uses it:)

thanx 4 the help,, i managed to get it sorted,, ended d/l cisco software 4 the pci wireless network card and its on all the time now,,,, cheers

Back