my motorised dish problem

notanotherone

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
ok bit of help here please,have installed dish with motor and tested it it runs from south to west np and south east np (manualy)i have dk image on it and when i tell it to go to thor it turns then goes back to the zero position?the bracket it plumb on every way and am sure ive put in the correct settings for lat/long Lat: 56:00:37N (56.01031)
Lon: 3:42:37W (-3.71039)

Reactions: J
when your at zero can you fine tune it to thor, or cant you pick it up at all?. it may just need a little fine tuning. if it does you can compensate your LON figure.

i assume you are using the figures in the brackets?

can you get other satellites?

BTW if thats your real GEO location edit it ;-)

Last edited:
cant pick nothing up at all, i set it up by fine tune and dont get anything,tried to get somethign on any sat and nothing at all

by the way it wont let me edit that last post for some strange reason

have you tried loosening all bolts and manually moving the dish up and down left and right until you peak the signal?
im up north and when at 1w the dish

Thor is on 0.8W so from the looks of it seems to be doing what is supposed to do. Looking at your second picture I think your dish is pointing to high towards the sky. Try lowering it towards the groun d a little and then move it half an inch manually side to side very very slowly to see if the signal rises or drops when it is BBC World, Thor. Might be best to get the wife to shout out whilst you move the dish.

cant pick nothing up at all, i set it up by fine tune and dont get anything,tried to get somethign on any sat and nothing at all

by the way it wont let me edit that last post for some strange reason
the dish is way to high
these dishes when pointing to 0 deg are nearlly perpendicular
try tilting it back down to wards the floor

ok bit of help here please,have installed dish with motor and tested it it runs from south to west np and south east np (manualy)i have dk image on it and when i tell it to go to thor it turns then goes back to the zero position?the bracket it plumb on every way and am sure ive put in the correct settings for lat/long Lat: 56:00:37N (56.01031)
Lon: 3:42:37W (-3.71039)

From your photos, your dish looks to be set up reasonably ok (Motor Elevation 56 degs, Dish declination 22degs, if that wall bracket is definitely plumb, however it will inevitably require a tweak.

You say the motor keeps shifting from 0.8w to Zero. You need to get to the bottom of this first.
Reboot the box and shift the motor to zero, then do a motor reset.
Check your long / lat co-ordindates N/S? E/W?
Move the motor to 0.8w through the box.
Does the motor move and stay fixed on thor?
If so, your box and motor should be ok. If you have a satfinder, use it and tweak the dish / motor position until you get the strongest signal. If you don't, can you get a telly up to that window in the picture? If so, do a postioner setup / tune on the BBC world frequency and more the dish / motor until you get the best snr.

Worth mentioning, those wall brackets aren't the best for motorised setups. They're difficult to get plumb. Use a decent steel pole and T&K brackets mate.

Worth mentioning, those wall brackets aren't the best for motorised setups. They're difficult to get plumb. Use a decent steel pole and T&K brackets mate.

Is that not a pole ? What sort of pole would you recommend ? The more I read of these setups the more scary it seems ;-)

The dish and motor can weight up to 12kg and that on an 'L' shaped bracket can put it out of alignment when the dish is facing an akward angle. As MikeTv has suggested the recommended method is to use a 2" steel pole with T&K brackets. I have got my 1m dish and motor stuck on 15 foot scafolding pole at the bottom of the garden as I didn't fancy the idea of a 1m dish stuck to the side of the house.

the motors out m8, the dish is miles too high, on the other side of the bracket its marked latitude, alaign the mark to 56 on that side and try again ;)

the motors out m8, the dish is miles too high, on the other side of the bracket its marked latitude, alaign the mark to 56 on that side and try again ;)

hi is this what you mean markings have only elevation makings so it is 90 minus latitude= elevation on motor, mine is 56 latitude if it was elevation markings I would have to put it to 34? I use multimap.com to find my longitude and latitude.

1st picture is of motor second one of dish would that be where am going wrong?

yes m8, the one of the side view of the motor bracket, on the opposite side its marked latitude :)

yes m8, the one of the side view of the motor bracket, on the opposite side its marked latitude :)

yep found it set it to wot it should be,played around with it and got best signal i could went into goto menu and sent it to astra ,it turned and searched then it went stright back to the zero on motor?

rite think im getting this into my head now i think the reason its returning to zero is its not finding any satalites,i can set it to go to a saved limits and postion`s, say as far west and as far east so if the furthest sat is 166 and i saved postion 1 it will go to that and the furthest west say is 188 and postion 2 it will go to that so its doing what it should :roflmao:still cant find thor but am luving it

ahhh, it sounds like you have the motor set to diseqc 1.2 m8, go into the motor setup menu, change it to usals, enter lat and lon, then realaign the dish again

ahhh, it sounds like you have the motor set to diseqc 1.2 m8, go into the motor setup menu, change it to usals, enter lat and lon, then realaign the dish again

no set up for usals need to change the image to find one with that in it
:roflmao:

I had these problems at first with mine

i suggest setting it USALS and then using the predifined locations in the motor to goto 1w. then make sure all bolts and stuff are slightly loose and move up and down left and right til you peak the signal. You'll have to make sure the dish is pointing south first though

Do you have a singal meter? there pretty cheap id get one if i was you.

I had issues with the motor goign to 0 with the eagle image i was using. I'd suggest starting a fresh with say the pli image or something and then doing a hard reset of the motor too

if you can get a signal with 1w then the rest wil start to fall into place

I had these problems at first with mine

i suggest setting it USALS and then using the predifined locations in the motor to goto 1w. then make sure all bolts and stuff are slightly loose and move up and down left and right til you peak the signal. You'll have to make sure the dish is pointing south first though

Do you have a singal meter? there pretty cheap id get one if i was you.

I had issues with the motor goign to 0 with the eagle image i was using. I'd suggest starting a fresh with say the pli image or something and then doing a hard reset of the motor too

if you can get a signal with 1w then the rest wil start to fall into place

lol i have used pli image.nabilosat image :roflmao:and images i cant even mention :roflmao:i have a signal meter but i think my problem lies with am not sure if its set to south correctly i got a message from the usals site telling me settings but i dont have usals set up in my motor listing?is that wot am looking for?lol hey its fun trying tho must admit am learning bit by bit

lol i have used pli image.nabilosat image :roflmao:and images i cant even mention :roflmao:i have a signal meter but i think my problem lies with am not sure if its set to south correctly i got a message from the usals site telling me settings but i dont have usals set up in my motor listing?is that wot am looking for?lol hey its fun trying tho must admit am learning bit by bit

if it,s a dreambox it,s goto xx function not usuals it not on a image its all part of the blue button function
press blue button
goto set up press ok goto service searching press ok
goto motor setup press ok
goto use gotoxx function press and enter long and lat and save

Last edited:
if it,s a dreambox it,s goto xx function not usuals it not on a image its all part of the blue button function
press blue button
goto set up press ok goto service searching press ok
goto motor setup press ok
goto use gotoxx function press and enter long and lat and save

yep thanks m8 just found that all out after i tried about 7 images :roflmao:rite i take it i dont move the dish and motor to south by hand?i only move the dish around the motor?casue if thats the case am doing it all wrong :roflmao:

Back