my motorised dish problem

Yeah you defo need to get a singal at THOR before you start looking for others

13e 19e 28e i got all those without even bothering to align my dish properly when me and my mate tried at first

5e 7e 16e all need a little fine tuning before you'll pick them up

a good video on youtube is the one where some guys aligning a Sly Dish with a signal beeper. that helped me align to 1w alot better

move dish up and down left and right when its loose til the signal peaks at a high tone. then lower the DB and do the same until it cant get any better

then you tighten things up a little and do the same only small amounts and then tighten again so nothing moves and the dish just bends. then have the DB pretty high and see if moving left right up and down the signal gets any better if it does loosen and align until it wont get any better

then you need to go to the box and start telling it to move to each satellite

if you find it doesnt get any signals check to see if the motors moving or if its just going 0* as i had this issue

if its moving then maybe you bracket isnt straight?

then when yuo get to say 42e if the picture breaks up and your dish is big enough for recieve it then try moving the dish up and down left and right when its still tight and see if the sat beeper DB gets higher or lower when you move it

Id suggest starting a fresh with everything. Hardware reset of the motor and set the sat box to how it was when you got it. if its a linux dreambox then install a new image

Some advice too. Don't just follow a tutorial step by step. Read it, Understand it and know why you do certain things and then have it as a refernce if your stuck

All trial and error though

Good Luck

Last edited:
the FIRST thing to do, BEFORE lining the dish up, is enter your lat/lon then tell the receiver to turn the dish to thor, doing anything other than this will only get you the thor satellite, as soon as the dish moves, itll be off line untill you 'zero' the motor again

i use astra2 to alaign dishes as the signals stronger, but it does mean working with a diagonal dish, so up, down, left and right are actually on angles instead of the normal directions

but if you dont tell the dish to turn to whatever satellite youre looking for before you start, nothing will work even if you find the satellite you want

will get sunstorke at this rate lol,from yesterday i got 192e, 16e , hotbirb,,,,eutelesat w1 ,,sirius 4.8e,,,thor 0.8e..atlantic bird,,8.0w,,,telstar...15.0ww.. nss,22.0 w :proud:

will get sunstorke at this rate lol,from yesterday i got 192e, 16e , hotbirb,,,,eutelesat w1 ,,sirius 4.8e,,,thor 0.8e..atlantic bird,,8.0w,,,telstar...15.0ww.. nss,22.0 w :proud:

sounds like youre just about done m8 :)

will be when i can get astra 28.2 east which is why i moved the coont in the first place,oh and hispasat aswell

oi your doing better than me.....................now go do mine cause am at work

if youre getting the middle sats but not the edges then the elevation of the motor is out m8, ensure your latitide is correct on the side of the motors bracket, it sounds like its only out by a nicker whisker

rite back again ok no further forward have carried out everything yous have been saying
1 have now placed the whole dish on new t&kbrackets rite up to the gutter ,in fact is so far up it can swing right round without touching the roof.i was thinking that it was getting a weak signal
2 i placed a new pole ,2 inch scaffolding pole on the brackets
3 i managed (dont ask how) to get the dish, motor onto the pole ,by the way its plumb on all sides i even ran a plumb line to the floor and its spot on
4i lined the dish,motor and pole so that they were all in line and the back of dish was paralel to the rest
5i bought a new compass and made sure i found south
6 turned the whole thing around pole ,the dish, motor until it reached a mark i had done and checked with compass to south
7 i left it loose so could jiggle with it
8 took out meter and played with dish till i got a good signal on south reached almost 10 and tightened it up a bit keeping an eye on meter didnt go to far below 10
9 then i started to play with elevation of dish,manged to get it to 9 after a few tweaks here and there and tightend that up
10 went to box and tried one tweak to east ,then another and so on but nothing
11 then i did the opposite way so i turned it 10 times east so i done 20 times west still nothing
12i couldnt get the snr to raise above 60% so now am thinking problem with box
13 but i did get 28.2
14 never picked up any other sat and am thinking its a hardware fault(box its self) wot yous think?have i done all i can??
15 my mrs is serving my meals through the bathroom window casue am up the ladder more than am in the house

You're still further on than me m8, I've only got the bracket up lol
(mind you I've made my own so I'll blame that lol)

Have you got it all pointing roughly south, then told the dish to move to thor, then fiddled with the dish to tune it??
I'm wondering if your arc is out a bit m8

Curly

when you had it south did you get a picture on thor,tuner may br ok if you are getting a good signal on astra,go to thor and try and get picture on bbc world then tweak till you get best signal,tighten up then move to other sats with remote

Ahh brings it all back to the first time i set mine up the pain it put me through lol but then its all part of it , once you do one its never a prob after that to line one up what i will say is i find it better if useing the right transponders when doing it here is a couple for 1west i have used before you could try these or even lyngsat is very good for sat transponders 11342 / 24501 H , 11421 / 241501 H 7/8 , 11.189V 2142

story so far was getting 4 satalites ,and was steadyily getting there,but box packed in on me,so tried with a 500s i had laying around ,managed to get new image on and got thor on it so scanned and got the channels then it asked if i wanted to scan anoth sat ,said yes and the motor moved ,but when i looked out the window it was way past what it should have been,tried a manul turning of the motor ,it wouldnt budge,went back up ladder and i couldnt see any power to it tried to reset and press the button to move ,nothing ,took the dish off and the motor and tried to run the motor and my mates and couldnt get anything from it at all,so now i have one box not working(its under waranty)one box which is,one dish which is ok and one motor which i suspect is knackered ,lucky white heather or what but i wont be beating i know i can do it so im gonna wait till i get fresh supplies :roflmao:

A couple of times I have found the motor without power and looking into it closely it was because the coax cable had become loose.

ok story so far ,have got new motor and had it for a few weeks now just didnt have time to get it up,today i managed to get it all back up,just flung it up and played around till i got a lock on a sat and done a scan and whoosh loads of channels ,but the next question i have is this ,i had a problem with my box and sent it back and the chap who sorted it kindly put the box on his sat set up to check it out (you know who you are and thanks again by the way )he put on 19.2 e and 13 .0 e ,now i have every channel he found working and i scanned another 2 sats and have all the channels on them they must be differnt form the 19.2and the 13.2 because i dont have double channels ,but i cant get astra 28.2 or the other what is it 25 something ,so all in all i have 4 different ones ,do you think its an image thing? or a tunning thing?

Back