my motorised dish problem

yep thanks m8 just found that all out after i tried about 7 images :roflmao:rite i take it i dont move the dish and motor to south by hand?i only move the dish around the motor?casue if thats the case am doing it all wrong :roflmao:
put themotor on 0 deg
then turn by hand to south
then set up

you have to manually locate where south is. if your unsure then use www.dishpointer.com and it will give you an idea where south is

then once your at south tell the motor to goto 1w either by selecting that satellite off the list or by manually entering the number location of 1w from the manual

then once its a 1w disconnct the motor and have the cable from the reciever and the cable from the lnb connected to the signal meter

then you need too peak the signal by moving the dish up and down / left and right til you get to the stage that when yuo move the dish the tone lowers and the meter lowers

check youtube for a guide onm installing a motorised dish and guides on using a satellite finder or beeper

its really simple once you've seen a video of it

ok dont know wot i done but i done something right (for a change)manged to get a lock on about 5 sats and scanned got loads of channels from first scan but it came back with a fatal error this is it

couldnt open service file-create/var/tuxbox/config/enigma dont know wot that means?

have a look at this aswell [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBErZGBb2Fo[/ame]

and if you sort it give me a few pointers coz mine fooked up lol

ok story so far thanks to a lot of help from everyone on all fronts have managed to get an image on it (nabilo one)and get it to scan,i only did a few sat like astra 19 and eurobird and astra 2 but it locked onto them and i did a scan it created bouquets for each satalite and put service files in them now i can see them ,bbc1 3 stv itv and all the usual ,but when i say go into bbc on astra 19.2 (or whatever its called )i get this message "please wait while the motor is turning to 19.2 e"but its been on there for half an hour? any ideas what wrong this time?

whooooooooooooooooooo ok so far this is it ,i was playing with it and got it to goto as**19.2 as i was doing it bbc1 came as the motor was going towards the sat,so what i done was in the motor set up there is a position set up so i jagged it one click one way then when i got nothing i went the other way and evetually got bbc1,but when i went to another channel i got nothing,so i took a rough guess where it was sitting and reset the motor to what i thot was 19.2 then went up ladder and done a sat find and moved the dish till i got snr 91%,agr 96% and ber 0 ,then went and put it onto bbc1 and it came on, can look at all the channels on that sat so done the same with ast** 2/3/4 or whatever its called lol again it came on but i can only get them via postion 1/2/3/4 ?if i send dish to the sat i dont get them but as i have 19.2 on positon 1 i do that and all the channels appear(well the ones that you can get cbbies/itv/bbc/think its film4) too so any ideas ?am i doing it right or is theresomething else am doing wron ooooooooo and the picture quality is superb

It seems wrong from your post.
19.2* is Astra1 which does not have bbc1 or itv or cbeebies etc broadcasting on it.
28.2* is Astra2 which is where you find the uk channels like bbc & itv etc.

So your dish is pointing at 28 degrees but your box thinks its looking at 19degrees. If your box tells the dish to go to 28 degrees the dish moves away and you lose the signal. Basically it seems you are not aligned correctly.

It seems wrong from your post.
19.2* is Astra1 which does not have bbc1 or itv or cbeebies etc broadcasting on it.
28.2* is Astra2 which is where you find the uk channels like bbc & itv etc.

So your dish is pointing at 28 degrees but your box thinks its looking at 19degrees. If your box tells the dish to go to 28 degrees the dish moves away and you lose the signal. Basically it seems you are not aligned correctly.

i now can tell it to go to 28.2 and it does it .so do you think its something else?ive told it to go to the 19.2 and 28.2 and the 23 v.8 (think thats the other one on astra and it goes to them but mind you am only picking up them 3 sats but hey at least its astart and am getting good qaulity pictures lol

i defo know that the 28.2 one is correct becasue its the same channel list i have when i set up my box with the old sly dish i had on the wall ,everything matches and when i tell it to goto that sat it does it,so wot is the other 2 i have picked ?and as i say its still only 3 sats or what i think is 3 lol

Last edited:
as you can see i get everything thats on the sky package for that particular sat, these are pictures of what i get as you can see one of them is bbc1 "houses under auction" and the other is the audi channel as you can see the logo in the left hand corner the others show bouquets and channels and also sats i have found but its still only 3 as you csan see the picture quality is excelent

Geting a good signal on 28* is easy, you can get a good signal there with a dish about a quarter of the size. 19* is also very strong too.
Currently your dish cannot be aligned or following the satellite arc, so it needs to be adjusted.

Geting a good signal on 28* is easy, you can get a good signal there with a dish about a quarter of the size. 19* is also very strong too.
Currently your dish cannot be aligned or following the satellite arc, so it needs to be adjusted.

hi in what way do i need to adjust it??

You need to follow a tutorial really. Get the dish & motor direct straight facing south, with elevations set. Then drive dish to Thor ~1west. Fine tune the dish. Then drive to 28* east and see if you need to move dish up or down to get more signal. Then drive to 30* west and see if you need to move dish up or down to get more signal.

Post your results here and we can say what you need to adjust.

lol ive read all the tutorials as well as digi`s one lol ive seen more you tube videos on how to set it up and followed them all lol ill juts hit it with a big hammer and throw it in the bin :roflmao:

I couldn't find my hammer when i did mine so luckily it didn't go in the bin. Don't take it so hard m8 it took a good fortnight before I got mine set up working properly. As PH says go back to South 1 Thor and take it form there take my word for it is definetly worth it in the end.

The LNB and arm are automatically set at a particular angle once you bolt everything togather. Have a look the pic might help you to get your head where all the satellites are located and why everyone keeps going on about Thor.

You need to follow a tutorial really. Get the dish & motor direct straight facing south, with elevations set. Then drive dish to Thor ~1west. Fine tune the dish. Then drive to 28* east and see if you need to move dish up or down to get more signal. Then drive to 30* west and see if you need to move dish up or down to get more signal.

Post your results here and we can say what you need to adjust.

could this be where i am going wrong.i set the dish to zero on the thor sat then move to other sats,soory to jump on your post notanotherone,its doing my head in aswell lol

could this be where i am going wrong.i set the dish to zero on the thor sat then move to other sats,soory to jump on your post notanotherone,its doing my head in aswell lol

Did you actually manage to get a picture or dd you just get a signal of some magnitude? if you don't get a signal of 80% on Thor than you will probaby have trouble with all your other sats.

Back