my laptop keyboard wont work. only the direction arrows are working is there a fix for that.

joeblaze

DW Regular
Reaction score
its a toshiba satallite. everything was working as normal that last time i used it. but when i start it after a couple of days this happen. i cant reload the os or get in the bios cause those keys arent working and i cant see anything on google thats the same problem.

i have tried a couple things that were for just keyboard problems but not the same problem and nothing happened im thinking of just chucking the thing in the bin.

cheers.

its a toshiba satallite. everything was working as normal that last time i used it. but when i start it after a couple of days this happen. i cant reload the os or get in the bios cause those keys arent working and i cant see anything on google thats the same problem.

i have tried a couple things that were for just keyboard problems but not the same problem and nothing happened im thinking of just chucking the thing in the bin.

cheers.

Will a USB keyboard work temporarily?

Or do you have to enable that in the BIOS?

Will a USB keyboard work temporarily?

Or do you have to enable that in the BIOS?
I never thought of that mate yet I did it myself not long ago. Had to retrieve an iPhone backup from an old lappy with a broken keyboard and used a wireless one. That was a Toshiba Satellite and worked from the off, no bios input was needed.

Here

I never thought of that mate yet I did it myself not long ago. Had to retrieve an iPhone backup from an old lappy with a broken keyboard and used a wireless one. That was a Toshiba Satellite and worked from the off, no bios input was needed.

Here

Do those ones have a keyboard lock?

I'm sure I've seen a laptop where you could disable the built-in keyboard with the Function key and something else.
Gotcha. I too have have seen it a few times on the Fn keys. I can't remember if it was on that particular Toshiba though, it belonged to a mate.

EDIT
just thought that would bring up an interesting problem. You would need a functioning keyboard to use the function keys to disable the keyboard. With it disabled you wouldn't then be able to enable it again without an external keyboard

You could plug in USB mouse and use the virtual keyboard option in Windows. At least that would give you some access to fault find.

i cant use a live image because when you start up you are asked to install or try and i cant choose but there a few idears im gonna try

i cant use a live image because when you start up you are asked to install or try and i cant choose but there a few idears im gonna try

Would be worth checking that the cable is seated properly if it is the type where you just need to take a bit of plastic trim off to take the keyboard out. Take care if you list the keyboard out as some of those cables are short.

Would be worth checking that the cable is seated properly if it is the type where you just need to take a bit of plastic trim off to take the keyboard out. Take care if you list the keyboard out as some of those cables are short.

i have unplugged and replugged the keyboard cable a few times. i think its a setting has been changed because the mouse isnt working either. would that be correct.?

that would mean someone took it out of the bag and messed with it wouldnt ? mi5 lol

the only keyboard i have is a mini one with mousepad that you use on your telly box. so i think its a setting. i will get a real keyboard when i am out tomorrow

is there a cd i can download that will reset everything, bios n all then i just restall the operating system?

I know its a long shot but look at this
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

two things to try , 1. delete drivers under device manager and reinstall them to make sure you have no driver issues.
2. open case and make sure the wire(its more like a film than a wire) is properly seated in the Motherboard slot, these tend to come out from time to time if the case has been dropped or is bumped often.

if those two do not work i wouldnt throw it out you can very easily purchase a used keyboard for it and replace the old one , its just one cable that needs to be hooked back up tot he Motherboard, ive done this on an old laptop i spilled Root-beer on =)

Last edited by a moderator:
Why mess with the bios in first place one wonders. I would suggest you start the machine and go to the bios. Check what you put in there and if its right or wrong, Can't really see you being able to load in the wrong one mind. even an old machine should refuse to let you put in a wrong bios. Once you are happy with that check default settings. check the boot order and see what is there. You should have a cd and usb. If you prefer you can set the boot order to boot from either first if you want to do it here,. You will have to take out the CD or usb drive if you do mind when windows restarts. Shut down the machine. Put in your windows disk. Start the machine and then change the boot order so your machine boots from the CD.( I cant remember the F key for that on your machine) and just re-install windows, choose to keep all your files if you have things you need.
Just my thoughts. hope it helps

Back