Multiroom advice

rawsy

DW F1 Champ 2010, 14, 19, 20 and 22
VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I used to be in the aerial game many moons ago but was wondering if something has changed or if i am missing something.

I will start from the beginning.

My local club has a multiroom system that has 2 sky boxes using io link adaptors. Something happened and a new sky box was introduced and nothing worked properly after that.

As usual in boozers every man and his dog has had a go at the wiring and i found aerials plugged in to audio coaxial sockets and all sorts of crap.

I have sorted everything out and all channels can be seen on every TV wired in. The issue is if the aerial is inserted in to the io link device both sky RF channels go snowy. The picture is there but just snowy and doesn't look like typical cross modding with rolling bars and such. The channels are quite far apart 21 and 55ish. both sky pictures are perfect without the aerial in the mix.

Is there anything new to consider like 4g/ 5g interference or something? I have not really messed with this sort of thing for a while and it is actually the first time i have seen an io link device up close. Do the io link devices have issues that could cause this?

Thanks

My guess is there is an aerial amplifier between the aerial itself & the I/O units. It will likely have been there for years and will now be tired & perhaps not filtering out spurious frequencies - 4/5G is a distinct possibility.
I am in the middle of upgrading a similar system in a local bar/restaurant. They have six sources; 2 Sky, one cable, one Technomate and a couple of IPTV boxes all feeding analogue modulators. The idea is that any source can be viewed on any TV (9 in total, soon to be 11). It has worked well for years but now the TV's are getting larger, (the smallest is 55") the limitations of analogue are becoming more apparent. So for the upgrade I've bought a quad HDMI modulator and a couple of single ones. One has an analoge input, the other an IR return. Although they seem to run quite happily on adjacent channels (the Labgear quad defaults to 21 & 22) they are quite finicky if the relative output levels are wildly different (even when the frequencies are further apart)- which took a wee while to suss. But the outputs can be attenuated to level things out (via a keyboard, not dodgy presets lol!) and, in the workshop at least everything seems to be working OK. I've stuck it all in a server cabinet ready to be wheeled in once the tilers, joiners & painters have done their bit.

Update! The aerial being plugged in has caused shit for a while. So I think it may be 4g thing? I will try and do some more investigating. They are all happy without the aerial for now though as long as they have sky sports and by spirits so thanks for the input!

cheers

Back