Multi-Room Box In Different House?

tekno_tatts

New Member ++
Reaction score
After many many loyal years of Nokia D-Box use I have decided to bite the bullet and upgrade my subs. I am getting XL package with Sky Sports and an extra box. What I was wondering, would it be possible for me to give this box to my dad to use in his house? He lives 5 minutes away and I'm pretty sure our TV comes from the same VM server as our D-Box settings were always the same. Would there be any way of VM finding out that I was doing this?

it would certanly work as your dbox settings are the same meaning your on the same network. they could probably tell that the box was beign used elswhere but i doubt they would do anything about it.

im doing the same mate one nextdoor one about a mile away (with talk back filter on)

it would certanly work as your dbox settings are the same meaning your on the same network. they could probably tell that the box was beign used elswhere but i doubt they would do anything about it.

doubt VM would care if the box is at someone else's place as long as they are getting money for its use.

.....but they can tell as the boxes will definately be on different UBR lines if they are more than 30-40 houses apart.

A talkback blocker will mask this somewhat but VM will then see you have a box that isn't responding so may be inclined to find out why.

There's also the problem that none of the new functionality like catchup TV and VOD plus any of the upcoming "nextgen" tv will work without full talkback.

I doubt VM care if the box is responding or not. I had my legit VM box in the attic for the best best part of 4 years and never heard a single thing about it from VM (blueyonder as it was back then).

If I remember, can't VOD, catchup etc be done over analogue line but I guess that would need setting up ?

im doing the same mate one nextdoor one about a mile away (with talk back filter on)

Are you currently doing this with no problems from VM?

.....but they can tell as the boxes will definately be on different UBR lines if they are more than 30-40 houses apart.

A talkback blocker will mask this somewhat but VM will then see you have a box that isn't responding so may be inclined to find out why.

There's also the problem that none of the new functionality like catchup TV and VOD plus any of the upcoming "nextgen" tv will work without full talkback.

How do I go about setting up a "talkback filter"?

maybe a really silly question if my mum has sky, plus an addtional box can I use that box at my house as I have a dish already rigged up?

i don't think so mate it will have to be pluged in to the phone at your mums house

Sky check the number that the box is calling them back on, it stops the boxes being taken abroad.

I know people that have sly mutiroom and take their second box down to the caravan for use down there... Over 60 Miles away from home??

how does that work then??

Im Confused??

maybe a really silly question if my mum has sky, plus an addtional box can I use that box at my house as I have a dish already rigged up?

i don't think so mate it will have to be pluged in to the phone at your mums house

not so, your supposed to have it hooked up to the phone line but i know someone (no names) who has multiroom and the second box has never been hooked to phone line after the first day it was installed,

they've never had a letter or been bothered or told to hook that second box up,

it is there rules but they obviously overlook/missed it because the person i know hasnt had theres hooked up id say for about 5/6 months so there box could have been sat at anyones house in all that time.

the only reason u have 2 have ur sky hooked 2 a phone line is for the ppv other than that there is no need 2 hook it up with ur phone line. I have a virgin box which i pay 4 which my parents are using at a different address about 2 mile away but virmin havent said anything about it. Its been over 6 months now and it still is working perfectly. So i guess they are not bothered as long as they get there money.

sky stopped my card after 6 months of use when i disconnected a multiroom box fromn the phone line. they warned me by post 3 months in to it

i think its all down to luck, with sky they talk to the box via the phone line so if its at a different address or not connected then it wont talk back and then sky know, where with virgin the talkback is through the cable feed so no matter what house its in as long as its on the same net id it will work and talkback, it may talkback and say im in a different ubr or that but so far i dont think virgin have had a problem with that.

i think its all down to luck, with sky they talk to the box via the phone line so if its at a different address or not connected then it wont talk back and then sky know, where with virgin the talkback is through the cable feed so no matter what house its in as long as its on the same net id it will work and talkback, it may talkback and say im in a different ubr or that but so far i dont think virgin have had a problem with that.

Sky talk to the box via the sattellite and receive responses through the phoneline..

Ive known a 4 box sattelite customer who didnt have the boxes connected to the phoneline and never got a letter for 2 years.. and then went to virgin.

As for the virgin box.. it will work.. if virgin send a letter.. just take it back to its home and leave it for a week.. and then take it back..

What will they do ?? theyl just threaten you.. but knowing virgin they wont say nothing as theyl be scared to lose the customer :).. but i bet this will become virgins next problem when illegal boxes go off.. so may start clamping down..

Last edited:
I had multi-room installed about 4-5 month ago but never been connected and never will due to only having the master socket downstairs in the house, the installer did say they might/might not contact me about it, if they do ill just act dumb and say you installed it that way

There is no talkback on the Irish MMDS networks so you can do what you please with a multiroom box and its only 5 euro extra per box.
Get 2 multi room boxes ,give a box each to 2 buddies and split the overall cost 3 ways.Dead handy (In theory,lol )

Back